Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slipping vs Dropping the clutch

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by xzibit, Dec 13, 2007.

1. this is probably a very stupid question and I shouldn't be riding a bike but I get confused between the two terms. Now is slipping the clutch letting the clutch out at a medium pace still having lil pressure guiding it out? And is dropping the clutch basically just letting go of the clutch forcing it to pop out fast?

2. You are correct!
  3. i thought slipping the clutch was already riding in gear, and briskly applying then releasing the clutch. with the intention of changing gears or popping a wheelie. dropping the clutch is only useful for burnouts, wheelies, and getting a back boob feel from a female pillion. giggity.
  4. Well my interpretation is that slipping the clutch refers to anything that allows the clutch plates to slip against each other without fully engaging. So slipping the clutch is a term that can be used for any prolonged semi-engagment of the clutch either from stand still or while rolling in gear. From what you have said above NAM, I wouldn't think that would be called slipping because you are releasing the clutch quickly thus allowing the clutch to engage without a lot of slipping.

edit: you could also call this "riding" the clutch

5. :LOL: @ Back boob feel! :LOL:
  6. I think you'll find the official term is "boob jam". Please see here

:p :p