Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slipping Neutral?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Schwer, Feb 19, 2009.

1. When I stop at the lights for a while and throw the bike into neutral, I notice that the revs slowly start to decrease and the bike vibrates a lot more - if I pull the clutch in it doesn't happen.

I've also noticed that if I start the bike on the centrestand in neutral, the back wheel will very slowly start to move around.

Does this mean that the neutral gear is slipping in a similar way to how a clutch would? Is that even possible? And what can be done about it?

2. There is no such thing as a netural "gear".
    Wheel turning while on the center stand is normal as there is always some oil drag through the clutch (more when oil is cold).

Not sure about your idle issue. RPM should be stable.

EDIT: Vibes will be from an unloaded engine and should be able to be tuned out with a service.
  3. Right, no such thing as a neutral gear. I knew that :oops:.

Good to hear that it's normal - I was just looking at it warm up and saw the wheel spinning and got a bit scared :|.

But what does an unloaded engine mean?
  4. revving the bike with the wheel in the air is unloaded, while its on the ground its loaded because its pushing the weight of the bike.