Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

slippery when wet ...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bonjoji, Feb 12, 2007.

1. i went out really early yesterday morning and braved the wet conditions but water, oil patch and a tap of the rear brake proved to be a bad concoction.

slowing down on a 60 zone approaching a roundabout up in belgrave, my bike fish-tailed, its rear wheel tried to race the front, it was going sideways closing in on that roundabout. released and re-applied the rear brake didn't help, gave the front brake a squeeze and i came off flying to a rolling landing on the bitumen. as i tumbled on the ground i waited for my bike to get closer to me but luckily it didn't, i stood up and rushed back to pick up my bike.

i am ok, my bike lost its left indicator, broke the shifter/left foot peg mounting bracket, bent centerstand dinged/scratched the left exhaust pipe, bent clutch lever, scraped left handle bar end, a small scratch/crack on the fairing near the left mirror. it started but won't stay in idle, so i had to limp ride it home with a bit of extra throttle to keep it running.

2. Wet roads also accentuate the oil and stuff dropped by cars and trucks, and in the braking areas it's always worse.

Glad that you are ok, and hopefully you'll be able to get the bike up and running quickly...
  3. Should have given her some throttle, would have come together nicely.
  4. Ooo, sorry to hear about that Bonjoji. Easy to get into that situation after the light rain we had.

I don't think I would have been changing my throttle position, but I sure wouldn't have touched the front brake. More like up on the pegs, weight on the right peg, turning into the slide until the rear makes it way back to where it should be: Behind me.

I hope it doesn't cost too much to get the bike back in fine condition.
  5. throttle was the least that i can think of as i was approaching a roundabout, didn't thought about the pushing more on the right peg though. it was just entirely different to my previous rear slides, there was no feel of any rear grip at all. i probably panicked unknowingly when i squeezed the front brake and gave it a bit more of effort upsetting the bike even more.

i think the bike damage does not warrant taking it to the insurance company so i'm thinking of sourcing parts from wrecker and try to fix as much as i can myself and leave the rest to the workshop.

full leathers came in really handy, i might need to shop for a new helmet now. no visible scratches though, but i'm following advise from here about the one-crash helmet policy.
  6. Understandable. You don't get time to think in those situations. It's a reaction I learned on dirt bikes, and hoped never to need on a road bike, but I have needed it a couple of times.

Even if not claiming this accident, if you fix it yourself and can't make it as new, make sure you inform your insurance about any remaining major damage, or they may refuse a future claim. Of course, you don't need to tell them how it happened, or what you have fixed, just what remains damaged. It shouldn't change your premiums, but will change the future payout, but at least you will get one. :) (I'm sure you knew that. :cool: )
  7. I find polarised sunglasses are great for accentuating the oil spots on a wet road
  8. Bad news, sorry to hear about it Bonjoji. Learn from and change what you can and put the rest down to "it" happens. Hope you get back on the road quickly
  9. Smooth is the word in the wet, including releasing brakes.
    You'd be really surprised how much grip is available (around 80% of dry) in the rain, you just have to ensure you don't "shock" that delicate contact patch you have at each end of the bike too much.
    I find in teh rain I start braking with front first, just a little, then as load transfer starts to do it's thing, I apply a little rear to keep things in check.
    Way too easy in the rain to use a bit of back brake, then decide you need more, then use too much.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Glad to here you're ok bonjoji. Hope you get the bike upright soon.
  11. thanks guys. yeah, i was at the wrong time and place so just added it to the "fun of riding a motorbike".

my bike is 90% ready, got the left foot peg assembly, new clutch lever and indicator light assembly from ringwood this arvo. d.i.y. wasn't that bad, it took me just over an hour to remove the broken bits and fit the new ones. i won't bother with the cosmetics at the moment (probably leave them for the insurance company). the bent centre stand is the big job left. now if only i can keep the idle revved correctly i should be able to ride it to the shop for some professional touch. for some reason it won't stay on idle since yesterday. played with the idle adjuster but no go, will have to check cables tomorrow.

may need to rest now as back, shoulder and neck muscles feel a bit stretched/worked out at the moment. nothing painful so still ok.
  12. yeah, not good. what bike ya got?
  13. its alright, i walked away unhurt. i ride a kwaka gpx2500r

thanks for the advise Andrew, i did a "smooth" rolling landing anyway that helped me to avoid injuries and lucky no other vehicle at the time.

i hope my handlebar arrive tomorrow, i'm missing riding already. on the flipside, i am spending more quality time with my family :)
  14. I should add that in the rain, I drag the rear brake against the engine when slowing down. That is, I won't pull the clutch just to slow down, I'll use rear brake and just leave the engine ticking over in gear. I find it helps in smoothly applying rear brake, and if it does start to lock, a quick release of brake pressure means teh engine starts driving the wheel again straight away, reducing the chance of a sideways slide starting to happen.
    I also throw out all thoughts of significant engine braking, and just concentrate on the brakes, line on the road, lean angle, and being in probably the next higher gear up going around corners than I would be in the dry. It helps to apply the power more smoothly being in the next gear up.

Regards, Andrew.