Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slightly warped front disc

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ZX-5R, May 11, 2006.

1. The Disc on my project bike is slightly warped, I couldnt tell with a straight edge (steel ruler) but when on the bike you can feel it stiffens up at one point when rotate the front wheel.

the disc has abit of surface rust on it so this might be a cotrributing factor. Do you think if I take it for a solid ride whith lots of hard breaking it might fix itself ?

2. You need a dial indicator to check it accurately but a scriber taped to the fork leg will do you are looking for a gap of 0.20 mm or less about 4 ticknesses of A4 photo copy paper

Note is it a solid disc or does it have a centre with the outer rivetted on with buttons if it has it might just need a ride to true it up

Go slowly increasing the speed gently on a quite road and try the front brakes if its pulsating / judering you need some repair work on the disc

Planet discs i think in bayswater will sort it for you if you need it reground / replaced
  3. I have another disc that fits, but the other disc is'nt vented and looks really really shit they are both solid. I might throw the whole wheel on my registered bike and see how it goes. Maybe theres the bike apears to have been down several times to maybe the brake cylinder is off rather than the disc