Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slightly Stripped Chain Adjuster Bolt

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by ClueClue, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Had a go at adjusting the chain on my 1986 Honda GB400 for the first time today. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to mechanical work, but they showed me how to do this at the place I bought it.

Anyway, no problems, until I was tightening up the hex nut on the right rear chain adjuster bolt. The hex nut just seemed to spin in place and not tighten. I took the whole bolt out and it seems to be stripped, but just around where the hex nut is.

I've put it back on and managed to move the nut somewhat on to where the thread is, but I can't really tighten it properly without it going back to the stripped part of the bolt.

The chain is fine now (it was a bit loose, that's why I adjusted it in the first place) and I've put everything else back to how it should be.

Would the bike be safe to ride with that hex nut not done up as tight as it should be?

2. As a TEMPORARY fix stick a washer or two behind the nut to bring it to good thread.
    Replace ASAP,and take it easy until replaced

3. That's a good idea, actually. I'll see if I can find any washers around here. I just had another look at it though and managed to do a better job of getting the nut onto the thread and tightened it up properly. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement bolt.

And I know everyone loves photos, so here's a picture of the bolt :shock:

1ioyc.

4. wow thats pretty stuffed.

just get a newie asap but the washers idea is good if you really NEED to use the bike.

5. I had my chain adjuster move once because of a similar problem. the rear wheel jumped forward on one side, the bike started to crab sideways, and I was very lucky it didn't throw the chain off. Replace the bolt and nut asap.

6. Even better than washers would be a spacer such as a larger size nut. The bolt is something you could find at an engineering supplier a lot cheaper than the 'genuine' part.

7. yeah I did look up the part number, just out of curiosity and it was a few dollars online. When I went down there (Scotts motorcycles) they just gave me a new bolt for nothing :p

8. You call that slightly????

A new nut too. It's almost certain to be as dead as the bolt.

9. Yes, I love the description "slightly" stripped, its like being "a little bit" pregnant.=D>

10. or elton john being a little bit weird.

11. If you aren't an experienced mechanic you may not have realised that "slightly stripped" has a specific meaning and your bolt exceeds that. The mechanical term for your degree of stripped is "rooted".

Definitely also replace the nuts.

12. Haha, yeah I didn't think it was that bad until I took it off properly to get that photo. I replaced the nut and the bolt.