Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slight grinding feeling, low rpm, clutch engaged

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Avoidable, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

The new Gixxer has about 1,300 k on the odo and it has developed this odd very slight crunching/grinding feeling at low rpm mainly through the bars. It may have existed before when I was overly excited about the new bike and didn't notice.

It only happens when the clutch is fully or about 75% engaged and when RPM is around 2.5k or below. Eg, taking off from stopped or puttering around low speed. The clutch level is set to specification free play.

This is my first inline 4 so I'm wondering if this is normal for this type of motor to cause this feeling through the transmission. I plan on taking it back to the place I bought it from tomorrow and asking the guys to test it out, but in the mean time... any opinions?

Cheers guys

2. My 08 CBR 600RR does the same thing. Slight grinding feeling when the clutch is engaged at low speeds. Im pretty sure its normal.

3. Thanks Rob that reassuring.

I was wondering if the "grinding" might be the feeling of the cylinders firing at a low enough speed to almost differentiate between each individual detonation and it only trasmits this with the clutch engaged. I'm not mechanically minded when it comes to vehicle mechanics, so this was my blind, hopeful guess :)

4. I won't pretend to know anything to do with mechanicals but to me it feels like the grinding could be caused by the free-spinning effect when no gears are engaged. Im sure one of our more knowledgeable forum members can clarify this further.

5. You have followed the service & running in schedule, right? Right?

:shock:

6. Yeah i have been following the rules.

First service done at 987 km. Been keeping to the recommended engine speed which is 12.5 k... ish at the moment until 1,600 kms. Varying engine speed within the allowed range. Everything the little running in bible says to do

7. Don't worry he was trying to scare you

:p