Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slideshow from riding trip to Thailand

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by daewoo, Jan 28, 2008.

1. I have created a few slideshows from my last riding trip in Thailand... have a look here...

Mae Hong Son Loop - Day 1

th_TJPai010.

Mae Hong Son Loop - Day 2

th_MHS007.

Mae Hong Son Loop - Day 3

th_TJMHS-CM084.

Day ride to Doi Inthanon

th_DoiInthanon015.

Have a look at these roads, you've gotta go...

Cheers,
    Daewoo

2. Great! Would love to ride there myself.

3. Nice pics, this is on the list of things to do.

4. did you happen to ride in southern thailand at all? i'm heading there in april and am looking to do some riding - looks like you brought/took your own bike? any hassles with licensing / near death experiences?

5. I have done a little bit of ridding on scooters on Phuket Island and just over the bridge. If you are serious about riding I have a mate who lives there who may be a good contact for you...

I rode a mountain bike from HuaHin to Surat and it was great... the back roads are good and windy, but it is pretty flat from Bangkok all the way to Malaysia...

I hired a bike, no problem... there are heaps of places on Phuket to hire bikes, and I assume around Krabi as well... outside of the tourist places you will struggle to find somewhere, but if you know where you are starting from I may be able to dig something up... there are no 'one way rental' type deals...

There is a Phuket section of the GT-Rider forum at http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum which will give you some hints on places to rent bikes...

You won't have any problem with licenceing or anything... the bike hire place will want to keep your passport as insurance, so it is a good idea to take a colour photocopy in case the plod stops you... but you won't have a problem that way either... and try to get your bike from a shop, not the guys on the road at the beach, the bike will be better, and they won't try and penetrate your bum if you drop it...

feel free to PM me for an email address if you want more info and want to take it 'off line'

Cheers,
    Daewoo

6. thanks Daewoo thats a very generous offer.

I'm spending about 25 days in thailand, all south of bangkok on the southern beaches, and plan to do a bit of sightseeing on motorbike on the east coast islands and possibly on phi phi as well. Won't be spending time in phuket except to go to airport. So really just a handful of day trips, I sortof had a pipe dream of getting a 600/1000cc but by the sounds of it I wouldn't get to open it up anyway - and the bigger bikes seem to be a rarity.

on the note of handing your passport over to a hire shop, isn't that pretty much asking for trouble?

7. I would suggest you head over to GT-Rider and do a search... you will get a lot more info than I have to offer...

It will be hard to rent anything away from Phuket and maybe Krabi... HKT airport is at the northern end of Phuket Island, and the places to rent bikes are at the south... mainly Patong and Karon... Thai's only ride scooters, and they only cost $1500, so they don't rent them... You can't really rent in BKK and ride down either before you ask :) ... if you want to get a bike and then head off the Island you will need to go down to Patong or Karon, and then ride up and over the Sarasin Bridge... it is only about 40Km anyway...

You may be able to rent in Krabi if that fits in better with your plans...

You won't be able to take a bike to Koh PhiPhi and there aren't really any roads there anyway, definately co sealed roads (unless they were built post Tsunami with aid money)
    http://www.travelfish.org/map_detail/thailand/southern_thailand/krabi/ko_phi_phi/57

As for leaving your passport... the Thai's don't make much money out of there rental bikes, and they cost about double to buy as they would in Australia... you passport is their insurance... If you get it from a good shop you will not have a problem, but the guys on the beachfront are sharks... I have heard they hope that you drop the bike so that they can take liberties with your anus, and sometimes try to say that you dropped the bike or damaged it even if you didn't... if you have any problems, dial the tourist police on 1155 from any phone in Thailand and they will help you sort it out...

Unfortunately, it is likely that you will have a hard time finding a big bike away from the beachfront guys, more likely a CB400 or something... you will get plenty of chance to open them up, many of my mates there cruise at 150, but I wouldn't recomend it, things can go pear shaped pretty quickly on the roads over there...

See this thread started by my mate for more info on bike hire...

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/phuket-shops-with-big-bikes-for-hire-t2293.html

any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I will help where I can...

P.S. 25 days isn't anywhere near long enough... :grin:

Cheers,
    Daewoo