Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slid and crashed in wet corner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tongnk, Jan 10, 2016.

1. So I had a quick search but wanted to get more thoughts as it seems to be specific to each situation. Happened last Thursday after the torrential downpour had stopped. Went into a left hand corner, turned as usual and suddenly the bike has slipped on the ground. Don't really remember what exactly happened but I'm guessing it may be leaning too much? Didn't touch the brakes during the turn (did it before). Any thoughts on what I did wrong and how I avoid this in the future?

2. Sorry to hear about your crash, hope you and the bike came out of it ok.

Check your tyres before you do anything else. As tyres age they get harder, refuse to warmup and just let go in the wet without warning resulting in a lowside...some are just crap from the factory.
    Had a tumble a few years back where this was the case; in corner, tyre lets go, handle snaps in a direction and the next thing you know your sliding along the ground.

The next likely candidate is surface contamination, after rain (especially if it hasn't rained for a while) all the oil and road grime comes to the surface and turns the roads into an ice skating rink...only solution here is lower speed and a more upright position.

You will be very surprised how much lean you can get on a good warm tyre and decent road in the wet.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Could be your throttle control. Or crap on the road.
  4. I'm with nc on this but I'll put road contamination at the top of the list, probably a diesel spill from a truck ......
  5. Too much lean, for the available traction. How close to home? ie being wet were the tyres warmed up? Probably not.
  6. Could have accelerated out of the turn too much? How did the bike fair :/?