Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Slalems and bumpy corners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by corvus, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Slaloms and bumpy corners

Still riding through the Royal in Sydney once or twice a week for work. I am coming to know that road pretty well, and there are a few tricky bits I would like to improve on.

There's a couple of opposing curves right on top of each other. I take them slow, but always find that between coming out of the first and setting up for the lean on the opposite side for the second, I have a moment in the middle where I feel a bit wobbly. Not like I'm going to lose it at all, but it's not a smooth transition and I feel like I'm fighting my bike a bit to get it where I want it in time for the next corner. Any tips?

Secondly, there's this one really dodgy curve I loathe because the road is uber rough coming out of it. A couple of times I've felt my rear tyre slip a little as it's bounced over the rough patches. I just can't work out the best way to approach this curve. It feels better fast, but seems silly to do that because of the slip now and then. I've developed a hang up about it and now I always get tense coming into it. How do you corner on bumpy, chewed up road?

2. What bike do you have? Adjustable suspenders? Trying slowing down your slow speed rebound and try your slalom again.

Bumps = ride it out. But you can cheat by changing your line through the corner to straight line the bumps as much as possible.

3. hey dev what's the etiquitte on standing in this scenario?

Like if you're on a straight and you hit something you put some pressure on the pegs and ride it out but around the bends what's it do to the bike?

I've noticed when i hit bumpy sections i'll hold my line but due to there being a bump and the road being uneven the bike would wear the brunt of the hit under me and my legs would extend as the bike goes into the dent and as the road smooths out the bike stabilises and i'll be back in position for the corner. I think it happens because i put pressure on the outside peg so when i hit a bump my body doesn't cop the hit but my legs work as a spring.

Does this sound right or am I setting myself up for a painful scrap with the tarmac?

4. It's a BMW F650 CS. Not sure if I can adjust the suspendors.

The bumps on this curve run with the direction of the road, and they're right through the corner. I can't really go straight across them for that reason, but I'm a bit confused about what speed I should choose. If I go a little faster, I can sail over them better, but risk slipping? But when I slow it down it's harder to turn the bike around the corner because of the grooves and bumps running with the line of the road. Does that make sense?

5. I don't think I could or would want to lift out of the seat under normal cornering loads.

There's high frequency bumps and then there's a big whoop in the road which you wouldn't see or feel under a certain speed. I don't think you can do shit with high frequency stuff, maybe dial your suspension in to suit it if you get a lot of it, and try and straight line them as much as possible, but you've still just gotta corner through it and believe that it feels worse than it actually is. A big whoop I think needs a bit of throttle control, its easy for the rear to get light as the suspension is extending on the way out and break loose, and easy for the front to overload if you're braking into it through the first half of the corner. Who knows roads that well though?

6. 650 should love the bumps, but yeah it feels dodgy. It's your bum on the seat, no one can tell you how quick to go.

7. Yeh i don't mean literal standing. I mean that feeling you get where the ass of the bike pulls downward quicker than your body as it sinks into a groove in the road.

I'm asking whether its best to use the legs as shock absorbers in this instance or try and keep yourself rigid and wear the hit.

8. For sure try and soak it up, otherwise the bike (and essentially the contact patch) takes a hit and then it takes another one when your mass has to be slowed abruptly by the bike. Try hitting the same piece of road with a pillion and you can feel that double effect very clearly.

9. The wobbly bit between corners is something that you will learn to control as you ride more. (moving around with as little impact on the bike as possible)

Having said that...don't underestimate the importance of being smooth at that point in the transition between corners, since your primary goal, just then, is a correct set up for the second bend.

I agree with Dev...you can help your situation alot by weighting your pegs to help absorb the bumps...It allows the bike to do it's thing more efficiently.

Also bear in mind that not all corners can be ...well..."cornered". Some are throw aways that you just need to be able to safely traverse, whichever way you have to, and then get back into your flow.
    John.

10. That's a good thing to keep in mind - trying to turn a corner into something it isn't will open yourself to failure.

I come across a few rutted bends on my usual rides that are awesome in every way except the bumpy surface. They load up my shocks too much leaving me with no room for error if I fly in too hot. Mind you a better bike and more experienced rider can probably deal with them better.

11. Yeh i brought up my point specificially thinking of a particular corner.

I'm not useless around the bends but this particular one has a series of practically unavoidable dips that make the bike jitter like a galloping camel and I was wondering if what I was doing was correct technique. I believed it to be correct based on other reading but despite me feeling like i have been doing it right, it still feels dodgy and i avoid taking that bit of road in the wet but if i'm caught taking it in a downpour i take it fairly upright.

12. :)...Exactly...Even if your technique etc is spot on, sometimes there just IS no good line for a corner....just the best of a bad bunch...so you "ride to survive" and then let it rip again, matey. :)
    John.

13. SlalOms and bumpy corners, please :evil:

14. Thanks guys, that all helps.