Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Skydiving Advice

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Trisha14, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Hi everyone

I need some advice here. My partner got given a voucher to go skydiving for a 30th birthday present, and so we're both going to go next month.

My dilemma is that I have two choices about how we do this:

Choice 1: I go up in the same plane as my other half who is getting filmed by a separate cameraman & also getting digital stills. While I would get filmed by the guy I'm going tandem with on a handycam on his wrist (no digital stills). Apparently the films are both very good and you can barely notice the difference.

Cost:
    Jump - $310.00
    Handycam filming - $60.00

Choice 2: I go up in a separate plane and pay to have a separate cameraman and get the whole package but don't get to share the experience with my partner.

Cost:
    Jump - $310.00
    Separate cameraman - $109.00

What's everyone's thoughts

Thanks
    Trish

2. Two questions to help answer this

1. Have either of you been skydiving before?

2. Do you intend to ever do it again?

If skydiving is to be an ongoing interest, then I would recommend having the camera work done once you are a bit more confident with the drop. First time jumps dont tend to make great footage.

As for 'sharing the experience' skydiving becomes very solitary once you step out of the plane. Being on separate flights really wont make much difference. Besides, theres nothing like the feeling of having a loved one waiting for you on the ground.

However, the drop zone crew would be more than happy to discuss best options with you.

3. Just remember to pull the Goddamn rip cord!

Also, where do motorcycles fit in? Is he riding out the back of a Carabou?

4. Hi - at this stage its a once in a lifetime adventure. But I guess you never know I might become addicted.

My thoughts were that if I'm paying all this money then I want all the memories of it ya know - but then at the same time I don't want to miss out on sharing the experience.

5. Then go for it. It is something I have never regretted. Hope your vid turns out better than mine.

And yes, I became addicted until I ran out of money.

:D :D :D

6. Go for what - same plane or separate??

7. sharing experience with partner???..........PRICELESS!!! :)

that's what i would do.......when you look back at the film you wanna know that you did it together....that's what i think anyway

8. Down to you I guess. Once you are outside you arent going to be anywhere near each other but moral support on the way up can be worth it. If you want the same camera coverage options then I guess separate planes may be the best way to go.

BTW, having a friend on the ground with a camcorder can be good as well. The camera operator usually lands first to capture everything but you can never have too much footage (if you are so inclined)

9. "Don't look down?" Hmmm, maybe not..

10. Um there is no reason on this earth to jump out of a perfectly good and sound aeroplane / helecopter etc

But it's Shi#loads of fun

:LOL: :p :LOL:

11. It's all too hard to decide!!! :(

12. A lot depends on how much you have to pay to have your partner's parachute sabotaged........

NO, Trish, just kidding!!

I'd never do it, (mediocre rider, etc etc) but if I did I would reckon that doing it together would be better than doing it separately and having better quality video.....

13. And remember,
    If at first you don't succeed...
    ...skydiving is not for you :shock: :p

14. "Show me a skydiver frantically grabbing for his ripcord and I will show you a man who is aware of the gravity of his situation."

15. At $310 a pop, you'd want to consider all the alternatives, including rock, before making that impulse judgement...

16. on second thoughts.......skydiving is wayyyy too dangerous!!! stick to motorcycling....much safer!!! :) :) :)

17. My wife and I jumped a few years back. Wen't on a weekend with a group of friends. Saturday training, Sunday refresher and jumps. One of the best experiences ... but for us it was a once off :)

I surprised my wife with a camera-man going up with her, and we still watch that film occassionally. For me, I preferred to be on a seperate plane so I could watch her jump and land from the ground .. and then see her jump on film. Being there on the ground for sharing the euphoric feeling of achievement and being able to hug was far better (I think) than just sharing the ride up.

18. Do what ever you feel is most important to YOU!
    Love will be in the air :idea:

19. Sounds like you're both going tandem.

With option 1, all you'd be sharing is the plane ride up... but with option two, you can both share the full extent of the journey on video as many times as you like - and you both get to share the OMFG!! look on your faces when you watch the other land. Sky diving the first time isn't so much about the ride up and the stepping across the plane door threshold... but about finally getting back safely on the ground and having your senses go ape shit in the realisation that you just cheated death...

By the way, it IS addictive... however, budgets and pained hip pockets can help break the addiction... that's why I'm an ex skydiver...

Enjoy getting air up your nose... I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it!

Cheers

Rob

20. I did it a couple of years ago, the guy had a handycam on his wrist, the film is excellent, you'd never guess it was done with a handycam :D

go for it, you'll love it :)