Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Size DOES matter, you know lol

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Apr 18, 2012.

1. While I've been bike-hunting my friend again loaned me his BMW. This is the bike I took on the Putty Run a few months back, and which one of the riders on the run called the Starship Enterprise when I posted a picture of me on it!

Today as I put my new bike into the garage next to it, it struck me how titanically LARGE the BMW really is......

VFR and the Starship Enterprise.

Please note, this is not in any way, shape or form a criticism of the BMW; I hugely enjoy riding it. It's just seeing the two side by side brought the thought to mind and I couldn't resist taking a picture
  2. It's not how big it is, it's how you use it.
  3. Interesting contrast. I used to think of my old R11RT as The Blue Whale.

Incidentally, I've been thinking about what you said about the brakes on the RT being unimpressive. Is it possible that this was an impression caused by the lack of dive of the Telelever front end?
  4. I would say it differently.

"How small the other bike is compared to the BMW."

I almost bought that model new in 2006. But the '99 Honda ST1100A won the day so I guess my bike would be near enough to the Beemer in size if not weight (297kg plus)
  5. Well that's an interesting way of putting it, and quite fair. I've just done my first real ride on the VFR and I'm struck by the physical similarities between it and the Hornet in terms of size. Both allow me to put both feet flat on the ground in the standing position; the BMW, on the other hand, if I want to get onto it while it's on the centre-stand I have to stand on the left footpeg to swing my leg over it!!
  6. Correct.
  7. my thread title DID anticipate such responses :rofl:
  8. God forbid anyone criticise a BMW! :p
  9. Oh this thread has such potential..... hahaha
  10. hey, don't feel to bad about the centre stand thing.

My 1100 doesn't get onto side stand unless it's for a tyre/oil change (and when I feel like cleaning the wheels). At 178 cm in height I can mange to have both feet on the ground to get the bike off centre stand.

Re "Enterprise comment"

We have a member in the OzStoc (Australian ST Owners Club) who owns an ST1300A and his partner said "it's as big as the Battlestar Galactica" when they first got the bike.
  11. Did someone say Ducati?

ha ha!