Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

sitting in a shed for three years... ouch!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jamesp, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Howdy all - I'm new to this forum but it looks pretty good from here!

I've got hold of a Suzuki GS500E (1992) for $400 - only problem is that it's been sitting in a shed for three years... Currently I'm doing:
    - fuel tank replacement (totally rusted)
    - fuel and air filters
    - oil/filter change
    - brake fluid replacement
    - fork oil change

Can anyone think of anything else that really needs doing before I take it out?
  2. Might be stating the obvious but don't forget to check the condition and pressures of the tyres before taking it out, also check that all the lights are working.
  3. You might find the tires have gone a tad hard with age and developed flat spots from staying in one position for that long. What a bargin! :)
  4. I've been hearing that the tyres will probably be a problem from a few people - I think I'll get new ones just in case (I'm a learner). Pity, though - they're virtually new.
  5. Dont forget about the chain
  6. Good form - would the hoses need replacing and how could I tell?
  7. Hoses might be okay just check to see if they still feel reasonably flexible - on the smaller hoses (eg fuel lines) kink them right over a few times and see if they split.
  8. replace the tyres! they'll be hard as buggery and won't warm up properly, it'll be a new bike with new tyres.

Keep your old ones for burn outs :)
  9. Sounds good to me - I was wondering what to do with the old tyres...
  10. see Dan's comment re: your old tyres,

I'd also change the oil again after only a 1000k's once it's running, just to make sure any crap that's taken up reidence is cleaned out, cheap insurance really.

That's agood bargain you got :D

11. It was a good deal - not pinched either! Thanks for the ideas - excellent forum.
  12. Maybe obvious aswell, drain/flush the carbies with new fuel. Why was it stored for so long??
  13. Hadn't been riding for a while and then moved away. I think it just got forgotten since he was thinking of selling even before moving. Heaps of people seem to let their bike licenses lapse - dunno why!
  14. Lapsed bike licence?

Must be a Canberra thing.

Here in Vic (not me) once you get your bike licence you get it for life (or until you lose it).
  15. I think it was mainly the work involved to get it through rego (what I'm doing now I suppose). Time consuming unless you want to pay someone to do it for you.
  16. Btw - a NSW licence, not ACT. One of my biggest gripes with the RTA is their renewal scheme... Revenue!!!
  17. Don't forget to check for spiders.
  18. That'd be a nasty surprise while going down the freeway! I used some surface spray above the bbq area a couple of months back - 9 VERY unhappy redbacks...
  19. Sorry, Dan, but that's a bit of an old wives' tale, especially when it comes to tyres like the ones a GS500 is likely to be fitted with.

I have a Spada in the garage which is still wearing the same tyres it had on it when I first came into contact with it, over three years ago now, and the tyres were far from fresh then. The last time I took it out to blow its cobwebs out, the tyres didn't behave significantly different to what they did three years ago.

The Dulop GT501's on the GPz500S I used for couriering many moons ago now were also a number of years old (I got the receipts), and they were fine enough.

What evidence I have for tyres going off through old age is a bit tainted... in one instance, back in 2002, a mate fitted a used rear slick to his TL-R, found it sketchy, went to get another fitted, only to have the been-there-done-that fitter identify the tyre by its serial number as having been made in 1996. How much of the tyre's sketchiness would've been due to it having deteriorated due to age, how much of it would've been due to how it was originally used, and how much of it would've been due to it having been made with 1996 tyre technology.

In another instance, in winter of 2002, another mate stacked his R1 after the rear Michelin Hi-Sport he'd had fitted a few hundred km ago let go without warning on a freeway onramp at night. The Hi-Sport was discontinued in late 1999, when it was superseded by the Pilot Race, so the tyre was almost three years old, but the Hi-Sport is pretty much the tyre which saddled Michelin with a rep for making tyres which let go suddenly and without explanation, and the accident occured at night, on cold tarmac in a location susceptible to oil or diesel. So, is the age of the tyre to blame, or its basic construction.

In the OP's position, I wouldn't be so keen to spend an extra $300; I'd at least give the current tyres a chance.
  20. Tyres should be fine.
    A lot of people tend to disagree but it was kept indoors so it will be fine.
    A bit of a furfy to say tyres go "off"
    maybe your uber slick uber cool compound types will but the tyres on your bike will be fine soon as you get it out there and riding.
    Particularly if they still are virtually new.