Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sitting for 12months

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by rockdr, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Much to my shame, I've had a 93 Trumpy 900 Sprint just sitting idol (sic.) in another state (Melbourne) for 12months.

It's about time to dust it off and get it going. Unfortunately, the only preparations were to disconnect the battery and put it on a tickler.

I had to move it (walk it round the garage) and the front brakes were very soft. No observable puddle of oil, so I guess it has not drained itself.

So, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be able to achieve all this in less than a day...

thanks in advance
  2. Change /charge battery
    change oil
    Change clean fuel lines.

If not working check battery again.
    If still not working clean carbs.

If all is good.

Change brake fluides
    change tyres (dry Rot)
    Remove spiders

Or u can just ask an mechanic
  3. A year in storage in Melbourne should not cause much of a problem.
    I would charge battery,warm up engine then change oil/filter.
    You say you have soft brakes so bleed brake lines.
    Pump up tyres then go for a short ride to garage & fill with fresh petrol.
    Too easy.
  4. 1 thing u might want to do is pull the spark plugs out and crank it over untill your oil "idiot" light disappears.
  5. Thanks for the tips - all gleefully taken on board. :grin:

One further query, what are the arguments for changing the oil before or after warming up the engine?
  6. Oil always drains better when it is warm. I think that it is because the heat thins it out a bit. Don't forget to replace your oil filter at the same time, as this will hold some of the old oil which will then circulate throughout the motor when you run the bike with the new oil. Don't forget to drop the sump plug into the container of old hot oil as well, and because its hot, you burn your fingers fishing it out. It always happens to me, and I think I should share the fun.