Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sit down son, let's talk about dual purpose bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nortorious, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Hi guys, I'm looking at stepping in to the adventure touring/dual purpose world. My old man has an Aprillia Pegaso road trail and I'd like to do some rides and trips with him. But, having ridden the Pegaso I'm thinking I like it's duality but I'd also like something with an extra cylinder.
    So, here's what I've found that could answer my needs for on/off road capabilities plus have the ability to do some road speeds & km's comfortably. Behold the BMW F 800 GS -

It also has a little cousin, the confusingly named F 650 GS. Confusing in that it isn't a 650cc, it's got the same engine capacity as the 800GS just a softer version; it's 71 Hp compared to 85Hp.

Can anyone with adventure touring/dual purpose experience give me anything else to consider with this segment of the bike world? Whatever I go for will become a big part of my life, I really want to exploit whatever I end up looking at to the fullest. cheers
  2. havent looked into it, but it doesnt look like a comprehensive luggage system would be fantastically easy to put on that thing?
  3. if you intend to do any serious dirt .. IMO any dual cylinder bike will more than likely be too heavy

many choose the singles because they are easier to handle in the dirt, do alright on the road and are easier (usually) to maintain..

you firstly need to be honest with yourself about what percentage dirt you will be doing.. and what that dirt will be .. i.e. gravel roads, 4wd tracks, single track etc..

how much luggage, if any, do you intend on carrying.. also how mechanical are you.. can you service the bike yourself and if not.. will a mechanic in Woop Woop be able to without fancy computers..

those are just a few things to consider...
  4. The rides we'd do would either be day trips, there and back ie. no luggage. Or they'd be weekends away, ie. one change of clothes. So you'd blast there, ride as much as possible, then blast back. With those sort of trips we wouldn't be too far from civilization: perhaps the yorke peninsula, or southern flinders ranges and anyting in between. I'd want to be able to take it on light sand, soft dirt, rocks, bitumen, gravel, minimal single track stuff, not hardcore moto x stuff at all. I live in the city & would need bitumen to get to the good roads so there is the need for some comfort on bitumen at highway speeds.
    Anyone done anything cool on those Versys from Kawasaki?

With the right rubber could the Versys be an option?
  5. A website had this to say about the luggage options,
    Of course it's gonna cost ya :grin:
  6. #6 nortorious, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I just watched this VID and have possibly changed my mind about single track stuff. That looks like damn good fun, I would like a bike that could do that, would twin be too heavy, surely they've got the grunt to do it? hfBnUEtD1TY[/media]]video
  7. Get a used single

DR650 very popular and you wont lose too much money when/if you want to trade up. Or look out for a post 04 KLR650 with bigger tank.

Much easier starting on a lighter bike and working your way up, rather than learning on a bigger bike.
  8. Grunt is in no shortage with a 250 in single track!

More weight is the problem. Every time you nearly slip over, you'll be cursing any extra weight you have and you won't have so many saves.

That said, if you are not going really bush - just where the Pegaso would normally go - you'll be fine and probably want the extra power and cruising ability.

Remember, you can never have too many bikes.
  9. I'll go where the Pegaso goes, but you can't play it safe all the time. this compromise stuff is hard :p
    KTM are lookin nice, the 690 Enduro I'm just reading about and watching on you tube looks plenty powerful and swapping rubber seems to help with that c word

I'd like to hear from people who've maybe ridden on highways for over an hour.
  10. Gross overkill with the multicylinders, in my limited experience. And if you're planning on doing heaps of offroading on some of those bikes... I think it's a little ambitious. And the Versys will be shit, even with the right rubber. Not enough suspension travel, too heavy and the first time you drop it you've crapped on a good looking bike.

Get something as small as feasible, while still being good at highway speeds and make sure it has leccy start. If my limited offroading experience is anything to go by. DRZ400? DR650 would be ideal, or a late model KLR like the man said but if you're smaller in statue they can be a bit intimidating.

Probably much better to head over to the adv forum.
  11. yeah i think I will head on over there, but I'd suggest chegging out that you tube vid, I don't think what they're riding is overkill, while I may not look to chew up sand like that, I'd want to see some craggy-ness of terrain and rough tracks. I do think the Versys is shit in this company, just trying to get some perspective from users.
  12. what better excuse to get 2 bikes??
  13. ask nanna :p and ice, they are both raving about their F650 and F800 bmw's
  14. What Quarterwit said.

The DR650 is supposed to be a good bike. Looks hawt too. Seat height too high for me though...even with seat shaved and bike lowered and willpower. :evil:

DRZ400 is the other one I'll look into. Seat height meant to be lower.

A Strom is also another option. If I ever choose a Strom I'll be making changes to it - like sorting out the ugly front on it.
  15. DR650 is a brilliant bike considering what it costs. Dunno yet what it's like off road (but more competent people than me reckon it's OK), but as a day to day fun commuter, I reckon you'd have a hard time finding anything to beat it.
  16. In the same sort of vane as the 800GS, how abut the DL650 Weestrom for a dual purpose bike that will see more road then dirt?

Head over to advrider.com for plenty of info on bikes for doing this sort of thing as well.... stromtrooper.com has plenty of info on the vstroms - lots of people taking their stroms off road and saying they are pretty good considering they are a compromise (some people offering criticism’s too).

I am considering the Strom as i am planing on doing some offroad touring, camping etc... once im off restrictions; but i also need to commute daily on the bike and this will be its primary role (multiple bikes out of the question for me so i require a good dual sport).

Stroms offroad:

Just a thought.
  17. I've only ridden the F800GS for a short distance, so no real first-hand experience, but anyway...

You've said you wanted the extra cylinder, and that's the way I would go too. Leave the singles to those who actually want them. If you really want to head off into uncharted wilderness, go the enduro route. Adventure bikes are for something else.

From what I've read and seen, the GS will go some way further into the bush than the Pegaso, or probably a DL650. But it also makes a really excellent road bike. A lot of guys on Advrider are buying them - I think that should tell you something.
  18. I went through a similar decision process when I got my DR650 in 2007.

Choices -

BMW F650 - with a 650 motor (same as pegaso)

The way I looked at it I could almost buy 2 DR650's for the same price as a F650 or could seriously modify a DR650 and still have money left over. I believe you can still pick up a new DR650 for under $8k on the road. I paid $7,700 in 2007.

Mods so far on DR

38l tank - huge, too big even but ok for road (600+ k range if speed below 110)
    Front Sprocket down one tooth, it's too tall for offroad as standard
    Full pannier and top box set from Hepco and Becker. Each pannier has 4 litres of water storage between inner and outer skins. Panniers make a good 3rd wheel though, they touch down before the pegs do.
    Seat - New one from Corbin

To be done

Suspension, you put that much extra weight on to a bike, it does sag a little

The DR is fine on the road, without panniers it will hit approx 175 (with standard gearing), with panniers into a head wind 110 is about max (yes I've done this and it was painful) but can do 140 with no wind. If you are riding with other bikes AT the speed limit it will keep up with most even fully loaded. I think from memory it's about 35RWBHP but that's still enough to get away from most traffic.

I have no regrets about buying the bike even though it doesn't get much use as it should (about 20000 k's since Aug 2007) but going away is so easy becuase of the storage space available. I was also after a single cylinder bike too so that did fit my needs and may not apply to yourself.

Food for thought!.
  19. Tim, that sounds like a great setup mate! A friend of mine has the 28 litre tank. I think it looks as cool as, but he said it isn't too bad once you get used to it off road. Do you have aftermarket rubber on it? Jon had a few issues with his initially.

How much were the panniers, and do you have any pics?

20. :?: :shock: