Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Single and Looking (...for a bike)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Jay Pav, Mar 12, 2012.

1. G'day everyone,

Only just got my L's the other day and looking for my first ride, looking at either Honda XR 600 or CBR 400.

Thoughts, advice, anecdotes, stories...

I'm a blank canvas, try and convince me.
  2. It only hurts for a little while, and less if you relax.
    Oh, and vodka - you'll know why when it happens...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Don't think you can ride a CBR400 on restrictions and even if you could there's about 7 of them in Australia.
  4. Dont mean to sound like an old fart, but I recommend you get a cheap old secondhand 250cc until you have plenty of experience and good road sense. Then you will want to move up in the world, a Honda cb400 or a Suzuki drz400sm are choice LAMS bikes in my opinion. Honestly you don't need a 650 for a first bike unless you are extremely cautious.
  5. Yes you probably mean a CB400.
  6. Ur right, definitely cant ride a CBR400..........

Its a good bike, I love mine although more power and a smaller tank would be nice............
  7. RVF400 is a good bike for a learner. They are pretty torquey and have a bit of oomph for a LAMs approved bike. In saying that, RVF400s can get expensive for their age and parts are hard to source cheaply locally, but you won't get sick of the power as easily as that of a 250cc. As said before, CBR400 is not LAM's approved.

Good luck with your choice.
  8. Welcome to NR. (y)

..and what NiteKreeper said. :)
  9. NK, you are one sick puppie, lol, funnee as all fark tho :)

Oh yeah, Jay Pav, hmm welcome to NR, cb400 seems to be the trend nowadays, but what sort of bike do you like the look of or would like to ride, a cruiser? Sports? Naked [bike not you, unless the Vodka's kicked already lol]

Different bikes for different styles or needs..
  10. Yeah I'm a bit torn between road and off-road. I guess there's no real way of finding out which I prefer unless I just go out an get one or the other.

So I thinking the XR400 with road tyres to see if I can get the best of both worlds.