Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Simple fix for indicators that are taking too long to flash

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Loz, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Tien's CBR250 has been very annoying to ride lately because the indicators were taking as long as a minute or two to come on after the switch was hit. I don't mind planning ahead, but this was getting ridiculous, and of course dangerous to Tien and Cory as learners. When she bought the bike, they would turn on after five or six seconds and it just seemed to be getting worse.

My first suspect was the flasher relay, but it wasn't until today that Cory brought the bike around with a fix to test - a very simple fix and one that took us less than ten minutes.

All we did was take the switchblock off, dismantle the indicator switch, and clean it thoroughly with contact cleaner and WD-40. It hardly even looked dirty. Straight away, the right amount of current was able to get through, and the indicators are now coming on instantly.

Just thought I'd post this here because I've run into this problem a few times and I never so much as suspected dirty contacts in the switchblock.

So there ya go.
  2. Which now makes you the guru on flashing.
  3. Don't start him up, mate.