Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Simple bikes are the Only Great Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kols_kebabs, Dec 6, 2005.

1. In this months MT magazine the editorial mentioned a new shop in Sydney that is importing New W650's and Sr400's

Website is here:http://www.deusexmachina.com.au/

I found their philosophy very interesting:
    I agree with their philosophy completely.

I'm a young motorcyclist myself and love classic Jap bikes, not for any nostalgic value (hard to be nostalgic when you were only born in 1987) but for an admiration and longing for the simple yet flawless design.

In many ways motorcycle engines were perfected by the late70's/early 80's with all the reliability problems solved. The ongoing HP race of the major manufactures today is really a dead end, creating ever more complex machinery, that becomes outdated as soon as the next model comes along and definitly has no "timeless" value.

The SR400's they're selling look like great bikes. Big single cylinder road bikes are undervalued. Very torquey, easy to work on, light weight, what's not to like?

I especially like the fact it comes with a kick start. I know many people who would agree that its ridiculous that no modern street bikes have a kick. 250cc commuters in particular are guilty of not having a kick for no good reason. Many people would appreciate the extra reliability of a kick. I know quite a few people who would gladly give away their electrics for a stock kickstart. The only reason I can see for manufacters not including kicks these days is for "pose value" I guess. Not having a kick is just a styling thing, completely ignoring the practical needs and wants of the riders.

The only thing I don't like about the SR400 is its small capacity. It makes about as much power as a 250 sports bike. A 650 would be more interesting. I guess the reason Yamaha chose to make it a 400 rather than anything larger was just to enhance its agility and to its credit it is very light. In the Editoral in MT they said that its more powerfully and better revving than the old SR500's, so I guess its probally okay power then.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else out there agrees with their philosophy. They seem to be trying to target their product to a new younger generation who appreciate simplicity. In my experience of all the young riders I've met speed is everything and they wouldn't be at all interested in this sort of thing.

It would be a great Learner legal machine.

Any young riders who would consider a new SR400? Mabye the CB250 riders on this board?

2. funny you should say that, coz I agree with deus philosophy, and I also ride a cb250 - lol, but yea that would be a gr8 bike to have IMO :)
  3. Hmm intresting idea but they sure arent all that pretty, or maybe its just they way they are presented on that website
  4. Sounds good but Victoria says no no to anything over 250's.

the 650 look more like my thing... either way im really not fussed by all the extras.....

i'd be more interested in a simple stock, reliable bike
  5. CB250 riders are so predictable :wink:

They're the only other really classic Jap bike on the market. I'd own one, if it worn't for their gutlessness. In everyother way they're flawless.
  6. hey kols, have a hunt around for some pics of Chairman's SR-500 Cafe Racer here on the forum; exactly that philosophy, except he built it himself.
  7. The one on the website is heavily modded as a period Race Replica.

Yeah not my taste either, The stock ones look much nicer IMO, do an image search on google.

Although if I did get one, I'd have to make it a Cafe racer.

Drop bars, Rear sets, Pea shooter, Solo seat.... mmm sweet 8)
  8. I wanted a gb500 for a while. Would still get one if I could.

I was a little dissapointed in the wr650 when it come out. I think a 750 in a slightly higher state of tune would have been better.

Also they should have leaned the cylinders forward, like the Norton, rather then the late 50's retro style they ended up with,

I thought it was a little bland.

I don't really get this mob but. do they modify bikes? Were there any pictures of the wr650?

But yeah bikes should be simple. No technologically backwards, but simple. No automatic this or electronic that. Just simple,
  9. if you want a simple bike.... get a GS-500e.... two cylinders, air cooled... nothing flash about them... They will live forever... because there isnt anything that can really go wrong with them... I have one (that I am selling in great condition for less than 3k) with 97,000 on the clock, and it never misses a beat... It is more reliable than I am... by a long shot...
  10. Is that a typo on the details of the SR400 or is it really a "5-stroke" engine. Surely if you're after a single cylinder bike with kick-start you could just by a dirtbike or just check out the Sachs Roadster 650 (650cc air/oil cooled single)
  11. The owners custom made bikes that they park out the front are damn sweet.

Can't agree with you about the kick stand though. Those things are a pain in the butt.
  12. As suggested:
    I do - everything that is essential, and nothing that is not.
    And that's all it comes with, so look forward to a strong right leg.
    Its a 4-stroke - almost all the parts are interchangable with the SR500. However, Malcolm Beare has built a "6-stroke" cylinder head that gives it some pretty weird torque characteristics - like the capacity to do a stationary 500rpm burnout in 2nd gear without stalling ( http://www.jack-brabham-engines.com/sr500_burnout.htm )
  14. I followed some of the links on the DEUS site and have spent the last 1/2 hour trying to decypher Japanese. I think I am in love though, with this;

I am already mentally designing the Rennsport 'Cafe Racer' conversion of my BMW R60/6, Hoske Alloy tank, Dunstall reverse-cone mega's, Thomaselli clip-on's, home made alloy fork brace, Knoscher replica racing seat, 7" chrome headlight, Raask Rear-Sets, and cut-down alloy guards front and rear, etc, etc

Funny how the world turns, I remember these things from their first time around. I built a BSA B33 Cafe racer when I was 19.
  15. Modern kick start engines are really quite good. I was suprised when I jumped on a Honda traily.

I get quite frustrated when I read articles about trail bikes that critise the lack of kick start.

I'd rather the weight saving in a trial bike, especially when they kick as easly as they do.

Road bike? I would probably opt on the side of the eletric leg, but I wouldn't be too upset if it only had kick.
  16. Inci, did you click on the two links on that page, middle right? Multitudes of 500 cafe racers, every colour and configuration imaginable. And the other is to the official Yamaha site, fascinating too.
  17. Simple bikes are great!

I ride an 85 Yamaha SRX-600. Moderately sporty riding position, but a really nice, light and narrow bike. It's got a decent amount of power and torque (probably a smidgen slower than my mate's 92 VFR400 at legal speeds, for comparison), with quite a smooth delivery. Torquey, smooth, light and easy to handle - great first bike in my opinion.

It's an air cooled single cylinder, with a kick starter (only)- hardly anything to go wrong! The kick start can be a bit irritating to start off with (like when you stall it at lights) but you soon get used to it. The SRX is very easy to start - I can even start it with my hand! No worries about battery problems or coolant levels.

So anyway, air cooled singles and other such simple bikes get a big thumbs up from me. When i eventually replace the SRX, i'm imagining it'll be with something like a more recent XT600 (single, air cooled) done as a motard.

18. which page? I missed this too
  19. I'd recommend what my bro-in-law did for his R75/5. See if you can find the front drum from the early TZ Yamahas bikes. They are a wonderful 4LS drum, look great and actually work better than the early BMW discs (to say nothing of the /5 series drums :LOL: ) and they were virtually given away when the race world moved to discs...