Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silly question....

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by jenjams, Feb 28, 2006.

1. I have a question which is probably silly but will ask it anyway.
    I often see bikes parked with the helmet attached to the side.... How do you do that? Are they then easy to steal? there you go... 2 silly questions now :)

2. 2 words, helmet lock.
    Most bikes have an inbuilt lock that allows you to safely leave your helmet dangling on the side of your bike.
    Hope that helps! :grin:

edit: oh yeah, they would be easy to steal but alos ruin the helmet in the process (cutting the straps).
  3. Under the seat there are cables or hooks. attach them through the strap and put your seat back...
  4. my bike doesn't, so i use a cable that i wrap and lock 'round the grab handle on the back of the seat.
  5. I wouldn't do it, have heard stories of people cutting the straps and running off with your very expensive helmet.

Thats the only way i'd leave mine too

...There is no such thing as a silly question
  6. Some helmet locks however only work with d-shackle style helmets, not the seatbelt type.
  7. Shark, Nex and AGV are three brands that I've seen using the seatbelt style clips - I'm sure there's probably others.
  8. I believe you can buy replacement straps for helmets these days so leave them on the bike at your peril.
  9. Yes, people do cut the straps off and nick the helmets. Seen it done.

The best way to secure a helmet to a bike is with the cable lock you secure the bike with, thread it thru the chin plate. Impossible to take the helmet then.
    I bought a bicycle cable lock just to secure the helmet to my bikes for short periods of time. I never leave the helmet unattended for long periods.
    It is very difficult to cut a rounded cable with bolt cutters, but not impossible, if the thief has lots of time and a place where he won't be noticed.

Oh...and MDS helmets, which are made by AGV but their cheaper brand, also has seat belt style buckles. I thought the bigger buckle might bother me at first but I don't notice it at all.

My friend Lin bought one last week, she put it on, we rode up to local shops...and she couldn't get it undone!
    Was well funny!
    Imagine a girl shoving, pushing, cursing, looking like she's trying to pull her own head off in a shopping centre car park.
    I freed her in the end, lock mechanism was stiff because it was brand new is all...if you buy one it might pay to open and close the lock/buckle a few times before you put it on.
    I'm still laughing as I write this just replaying that scene in my mind. :LOL:
  10. I've always taken the "don't have to think about it" approach and taken my helmet with me, even when the bike had hooks (which the Hornet doesn't.) Most people don't mind if you put it under your chair on the floor. I guess as a bit of a student of human nature, I just don't trust anyone to leave it behind at the bike, no matter how well-secured it is....
  11. My son had his helmet and jacket stolen from Monash uni a while ago. He had them both secured by the helmet lock. (A cable running through the sleeves of the jacket.)

They had unscrewed the lock from the bike, which would had taken some time because it was secured with blind bolts. I can't see how they could have done it without an electric drill.

He always parked in the same place, so I suspect they checked it out and came back with the tools they needed.