Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silly old bugger in Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by MichaelR65, Sep 11, 2014.

1. I should have found this forum much earlier! So much useful info, thank you.

I am Michael and was clearly the oldest person at HARTS St Ives this week for my PreProvisional. Passed, am am pleased to say, but I guess it was cheating on a Honda Lead.... 102cc of surging power and a breeze in the u-turns !

This started 4 months ago when I walked into a bike shop to ask the question "should a man well over 60 get a bike license? " Luckily the guy in the shop was near my age and said "go for it!"

Next step is to get some more road experience and then upgrade to a proper bike, preferably something classic to match my age. Anyone got an old BMW crying out for a new home?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Welcome to the fascinating world of bikes and to NR, Young man!

3. Welcome Michael, no-one knows you're an old dude with a helmet on - so get yourself an R1 and Rossi leathers.
  4. #4 Mr Flibble, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. Welcome, Michael, there's a surprising number of senior riders here on Netrider, myself among the number. There's heaps to learn so when you are more confident, head out to Homebush and bask in the collected wisdom of OzYoda and his bunch of merry men.....
  6. Ah nice to see another geriatric NR member. Welcome, start steady, our attention span isn't what it once was, what was I saying ? :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Thank you gentlemen. Iappreciate the welcomes. I will spend the next few month wading through the collected wisdom or NR.

Yes Jazzfan, it looks like I should check the local Ulysses. The slogan alone convinces me of that!
  8. Hey, congrats on getting started. I'm 51 (not so far behind you), and just got onto Ps. It's all about what you can do, not how old you are when you do it!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome to the freedom of two wheels. It doesn't matter how old you are, adrenalin still kicks in and feels GOOD.
  10. Welcome and great to hear that you're getting started on the road to freedom. My motto is "Do it now ore you'll be that much older when you do", I stole it from Warren Miller. Also you should check out the Youtube "Kawasaki Urban Assult tour" That's what convinced me to get the bike I did at my age (Still a little bit behind you). And I'm heading out for my first ever track day on Sunday 14th Sept on my 52nd Birthday. I can also recommend a good read to help speed the development along, Not everyone will agree with my but I just love "A Twist of the Wrist 2", bet the book and DVD, amongst the best money you will ever spend on learing more about the dynamics of riding a bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Another post 60 beginner. Welcome!
  12. Hi Michael, and welcome.

Are you retired?

I ask, 'cos I'd be happy to do some rides with you, maybe even let you try out some other machines, but I only get freedom from my "boss" during the week.

My BMW, the R850R, used to be the classic old fart's bike, but I still need and love it.
  13. What a fine gathering of NR old bastards in this thread (come on greydog, you know you want in).

Welcome michaelr, or should I call you "Sir" as you do have a few years on me :p

Lots of great folk and great advice on here. Enjoy!
  14. Welcome Michael. I am a little north of you but similar age (just turned 65). Been riding for years and also like the old classics. I ride a LAMS approved cruiser as my weary bones do not like the riding position on sport or classic style bikes. I have no restrictions but have no intention to go bigger as I am quite happy with the performance of the 650. Done my bit on the race track and now I am happy to take it easy, cruise, and enjoy the ride. Nothing compares as I'm sure you will find out.
  15. Welcome to NR and stay safe in the road.
  16. I get the impression there are a few "old bastards" chiming in. Good to know I am not alone.

Yes CrazyCam, I am semi retired/self employed and have more free time during the week. It would be good to meet up once I have a ride, but the Honda Lead has limited capabilities!

No rush, I need to feel my way and learn as I go.
  17. Michael,

Welcome to NR and the fun of bikes! It's a pity you've taken that long to find the joys and freedom of motorcycling. Is that why you referred to yourself as a 'silly' old bugger? You'll find all on NR are passionate about their bikes and other riders. Age is not really a drawback and being semi retired is a tremendous bonus! Riding is about the ride and those you ride with, not the destination.

Get your license, go through the mandatory red P 12 months and then get the bike that you want and suits your needs; there are hundreds to chose from; in fact too many. When deciding on your next bike, after your lead 100, think about what sort of riding you want to do and who you will be riding with. No point having a pocket rocket if all your mates are riding cruisers and visa versa.

One tip, even if your still on your restricted P's license, get a bike with decent capacity (500cc upwards) as they are easier to ride (more torque) and you can do more with them. If you have a small capacity bike (250cc etc) and want to go for a decent ride with mates, you need to work the little bikes far more and its more tiring as a rider. There are a good number of 500cc + capacity LAMS bikes to chose from from all the manufacturers in sports, sports cruiser, cruiser and all purpose /terrain.

Remember protective gear is critical.

I'm assuming you already have a fair bit of gear? Good quality, well fitting comfortable helmet is first on the list, followed by jacket (I think Aldi may still have some of the jackets they had on special the other week), then gloves, then boots. When money permits either a pair of draggin' jeans or leather riding pants are a must. Remember if you slide down the road, denim wears through in 0.6 seconds and then you're left with skin to drag along the road/gravel.

You can often pick up 2nd hand gear through eBay, Gumtree and forums like this. Don't buy 2nd hand helmets.

Never, ever ride without protective clothing even if its just 2kms to a friends place. If it's too hot or you can't be bothered to put the gear on, take the car. My son came off a while ago up Macquarie Pass but had full leathers on. His suit has a lot of scuff marks on it, his gloves wore through and his boots were badly damaged, but he was OK (bruising and a bit of blood). His helmet was badly scratched, particularly along the visor. Without a full face helmet he may not have had a full face any longer and without the gear on he would still be in hospital! Good thing that he listened to me and never rode and will never ride without full gear on.

Being 60 is not old. As my years advance I have found my age now exceeds my IQ (well nearly). You've got a small number of years on me, but once you start riding you'll feel 18 again!
  18. #19 MichaelR65, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    Thanks Bandit, you are right. From now on I will answer to Old Bugger, not silly any more.

Thanks for your long post. Lots of good advice there. Firstly I have helmet, gloves, jacket and boots plus some of the Aldi Kevlar jeans which seem like excellent value. It all looks vaguely silly when sat on a 102cc scooter but there are no soft roads to ride on around my area. I shudder when I see people breezing around the beach-side suburbs on bikes and scooters in shorts and thongs :nailbiting:

Why did I take so long to get my license? Well, my first sample of two wheels and a "motor" was a Honda step-though about 45 years ago, living in Lane Cove with a girlfriend in Carringbah. Scary! (The ride, not the girl)

40 years ago I was living and working in Germany. My flatmate had a BMW R69 and it was love at first sight (the bike, not the flatmate). Classic black with Earles forks, that bike was a joy for local touring or a blast down the Autobahn for a weekend in Amsterdam.

How about 6 months in Spain with a Vespa and no fixed itinerary? Yes, early on I had a taste of the "joys and freedom", but then life happened. My rationalization was always "I should have got into bikes when I was younger but I am too old now". I remember telling myself that when I was 35!

Anyway, now I have my P's and like you say, not too late
    • Like Like x 2
  19. welcome aboard :] 60 isn't old what's that old saying, you're only as old as the person your feeling :wacky: