Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silly coolant question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by V4bloke, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Hi people,

Just got my first bike after a layoff of a couple of years, and have never been terribly mechanical. :oops:

Was checking all the fluids on my 'new' bike which arrived yesterday - a 1986 VFR750FG - when I noticed the coolant level was down quite a bit in the overflow bottle and needed a top-up. (I will be draining everything in the next few weeks as the bike had been sitting for approx. 8mths before I bought it, but just want to top it up for now.)

The sticker on it says to make sure you use a coolant of 50/50 mix of water/coolant which is suitable for aluminium radiators.

Is there special coolants to use for bikes or can you use a suitable car coolant from an autoshop? If the sticker says 50/50 mix of coolant/water, is it ok to use those coolants which don't require you to use water with them i.e. Tectaloy 60 Plus, which I have sitting here for our car? I have no idea what brand/type it has in it now.

The bike didn't come with an owners manual (looking to buy one), and the workshop manual I've ordered hasn't arrived yet.

Any help would be appreciated :)
  2. i have personally just used the premixed anti-freeze anti-boil ones in my cars and bike never had any problems, they are usually very safe for alloy heads so dont see you having any probs with the alum radiator
  3. Get one suitable for Ally heads/radiators.
    One thing the was pointed out by the 2 mechanics on the Gippy spanner day was that you should NOT mix 2 diferent types/brands of coolants.

4. :WStupid: It would be best to top it up with water only or drain / flush and refill with new known coolant.

Different types / brands can crystallize and totally block your radiator or worse.
  5. if the bike looks like its been over then i would be checking the coolant level in the radiator itself , i know its difficult to get to the cap on a lot of the new bikes , but its worth checking the radiator itself to make sure, i had a similar problem, then loss of coolant due to a crack , the first clue was a low amount in the overflow tank before it got worse. it was a '03 bike
  6. Thanks guys :)

I'll just top up with water until I can flush and refill
  7. Coolant level in radiator was fine - you weren't kidding about hard to get to!