Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silk or Nomex?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Banana Fred, Mar 31, 2007.

1. I'd like to know other riders' experiences with silk neck warmers.

I had a bit of a search in this section about silk neck warmers to see what other riders know about them but only found one thread on them.
    So far I am under the impression that silk neck warmers are good at cutting the wind out and am interested in them for that reason. I have also considered a nomex neck warmer but am not too sure how thick they are or how they perform.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

2. I'd go with nomex for neckwarmer. I have one, and I also have a silk pair of undergloves. I think silk is great as a layer of insulation under other layers, but where it would be the only line of defence I don't think it is enough, and I would go with nomex just because it is a bit thicker. Even if it's just an illusion, it just feels more protective.

How it performs? Well, all I can tell you it did the job in early (very early!) morning rides all through the last winter here in Sydney so I'm pleased enough.
  3. I use both silk and a Nomex flight helmet liners, and I much prefer the silk, if only because the Nomex is man-made and makes you sweat like a pig. The silk being natural 'breathes', and you just don't sweat as much....my 2c