Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silica compound motorcycle tyres?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Must admit I was always sceptical about the claims made by silica compound tyres but I recently fitted a set to my car (since they're the only ones available that fit) and the difference is certainly noticeable.

From what I can find though it doesn't seem like this technology has been adopted by motorcycle tyres though. Not much good to me since I'm pretty limited on tyre options but I am curious as to whether they are in fact available, or if there is some reason why they're not suitable.

2. It's silica compound tyres for starters not silicone.
    Silica enables longer wear without sacrificing grip particularly in the wet.
    "The use of silica can also improve wet skid performance. By incorporating silica in their winter tyre range, Vredestein claim to have improved wet skid performance by as much as 15%, substantially improving braking distances at the same time.

Silica also provides substantial benefits in winter tyres and all-season tyres. Compounds using silica are more elastic and flexible at lower temperatures allowing better grip and braking during wintry weather. "

They have been on bridgestones for years and on metzelers as well particularly the sport touring tyres

3. Fixed - though I did know they were silica, just got confused on account of the fact I'm currently writing notes on silicone compounds (in between posts on NR ;)).
    I can certainly attest to the difference in wet weather performance with the car, wish I'd bought them sooner (mid engined cars need all the help they can get in the wet). The other plus is the fact that rolling resistance is reduced since the tyres can be made stronger without risk of getting brittle when cold. It's supposed to improve fuel economy but can't say I've noticed a significant change their (although with fresh tyres I may have been driving somewhat faster than before :-w)

Is silica used in all Bridgestone tyres or just on specific models?

4. I am having a look at bridgestones now and there are tires that specifically state having silica compound and others that don't mention it at all.

I would take the assumption that not all have it.

5. I would suggest the race oriented tyres would not have it whereas your sport tourers do.
    The bridgestone bt020 does
    The metzeler z6 does as do various other brands where sport touring/dual compound/ tyres which are longer wearing would require it.
    Racing tyres would need more rubber and carbon rather than silica for extreme grip especially in the dry and for higher temperatures.

6. Although having a quick browse with google it seems the Michelin Pilot Powers are using silica, as are the Pirelli Diablos.
    Seems it might be more common than I thought. Makes sense though, it's not like the cheaper cost of carbon black based tyres would be a major factor with sportsbike tyres.