Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Silencing awareness of change by background motion

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by duncan_bayne, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Watch this video. With the dots stationary you can clearly see their colours change; as the dots move, you lose that ability:

I wonder if this illusion is related to the SMIDSY phenomenon?
  2. I have done plenty of this sort of training with work and its very scary just how easy your brain can miss seemingly important details. Our current training days that your concious mind can keep track of 7 (on average) pieces of material. Those 7 units quickly get eaten up when your concentrating on something. I think half the reason for smidsys are the fact that the car driver has done the task so many timed previous, ie hundreds that the sub concious is now doing the task which means conciously they dont notice the subtle changes. The science behind the mind is very interesting but also makes you realise just how its not anywhere as good ad you would expect.
  3. I think you're onto something here, but only just.
    For example, if I SIMPLY REFUSE to look at the screen at all, I wouldn't have a fucking clue if it was dots changing colour or elephants riding tricycles...
    But with my head firmly inserted into my own anus, I can only assume there is nothing at all to see here, and I should immediately move into that position...
  4. i like
  5. I think some, at least, would have a quick glance, just to make sure a Kenworth wasn't about jump out of the screen :)
  6. Fair enough, I'll give you "some" :D
    But I've actually seen a prime mover tip a sedan onto it's side and then push it up KGR on its passenger door, because the old fella obviously didn't look before changing lanes!
  7. Fun thing about the gorilla test (classic psychology 101 material) was the follow up one for people who know about it... which shows that even knowing how it works isn't enough to stop this happening to some extend.
  8. Imagine the gorilla test, with the basketball-passers replaced with cars, and the gorilla replaced with a motorcycle. This (I think) may be how SMIDSYs can happen: drivers are looking for cars, not bikes, so they simply don't see the bike amongst the cars.

Any professional / academic psychologists care to comment?
  9. I'm neither, but the trainers at Ride it Ride Penrith were sure adamant it was precisely the case~