Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Signs for Battery Replacement?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Ice_Prophecy, May 28, 2007.

1. Hi all!

1999 Yamaha Zeal Is the bike i'm currently riding.

I am not sure if the previous owner has replaced the battery at any time.

But when I start the engine the headlights flicker (im not sure but i was told this is a bad sign for the battery)

I suppose this leads to my question

What are the signs to look out for when you need to Get a new Battery and Do i need to do it?

ps (my battery is the one where u dont put water in [ according to manual] )

Cheers

Ice,

2. my rule for replacing batteries is when the bike doesn't start anymore... put the battery on charge overnight (if you pull it out of the bike don't leave it sit on concrete (sit it up on a piece of wood), check the charge in the morning, put in back in, if it stops again replace it...... :grin:

3. Yep. Slow cranking of engine. Slow or hard to start. Situation doesn't improve after a long ride, which should have charged it. Or, charge it up and put a volt meter on it. If it is less than 11.5 Volt (from memory), then the battery shoud be replaced. (If charged and tested with battery out of bike. A little lower if charged in the bike.)

Google for exact voltages for 12 Volt motorcycle battery charge condition.

4. 11.5 is an absolutely cactus battery. 14.8 (I think) is a really good one. so if it's down around 12, when it should be fully charged, then it's time for a new one.

I find a battery when it is going out will hold charge for less and less time. if you leave your bike for a week and it struggles to turn over, then replace it. Two weeks is borderline.

5. The headlight should stabalise with about 1500RPM on the clock
    A flickering light or slightly dim at idle is ok.
    If the light actually switches off and on thats a different matter!