Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Signal's on ramp.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Rolkus, Apr 8, 2011.

1. As some of you know, there are signals leading onto the Freeway's around Melbourne, that turn on during peak hour traffic, letting one car per lane through at a time.

I can't help but think I am doing it wrong. It feels wrong, and I am barely keeping my balance. As soon as I put my foot down, I have to take off again, slowly which causes me to swerve all over my lane. Then again. And again, and again.

Is there a technique I'm missing?

Should I filter through the traffic and get past it as soon as possible? Or just keep at it and I'll eventually get it? As I said, I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong - mind you haven't stalled it yet.

2. When I'm in super slow mo traffic, I keep my head up (i.e. not looking at car in front's bumper), keep distance between me and car in front so I can keep moving and not have to keep puting my foot down and ride the rear brake a bit as I would when I'm doing a Uturn.

3. Learn to ride slow, you had to do it to pass your L's I'm sure you can practice it, it's really not that hard, practice more and leave a larger gap in front, you will get it.

4. Yup, this. Eyes up and maybe add a little rear brake for stability is what I do. Nice and relaxed through the arms too.

5. Yes.

The way I look at is the signs say "one vehicle per lane on the green light" or something to that effect, so I filter to front & make my own lane.

Viola.

6. Alternate solution: Move to Brisbane where the T3 lanes on onramps bypass the stop/go congestion controls. :D

But what the other folks said - practice your slowriding ability; Depending on the timing of the lights you might be able to create a bit of a gap between you and the car in front and just cruise up at a constant walking pace rather than stop-start-stop-start-stop-start.

7. Thanks God it's not just me wobbling down the on-ramp!

But seriously - this is a skill that takes time (i.e. months) to develop. Eyes up, let the clutch out a little bit so you've got just the slightest bit of positive drive, balanced with a little bit of brakes, and relax the arms. Let your throttle hand and brake work together in a gentle drive-versus-brakes balancing act. Keep the bike moving, and keep the arms loose. Avoid unnecesssary steering inputs.

I find it's a combination of excess steering inputs and adjustments, and lack of momentum / positive drive (albeit very slight) that causes me to get the wobbles.

Don't look directly at the car in front; look up and ahead, and monitor that car using your peripheral vision.

If you need to stop, do it smooooothly - extend your left leg, gentle but firm back brake, then clutch in and front brake and put your foot on the ground as the bike stops rolling.

One trick I find for relaxing the arms while I'm moving is to grip with the knees - this seems to make everything else relax a bit more. If your elbows are up and out (tense), give them a little "chicken wings" waggle to loosen them up again.

It takes time, and I still have the occasional unco day, esp if I'm tired, but stick with it and you will find that with patience, relaxation, and an almost zen-like state of mind, you can get it down to a very fine level of control - slower than walking pace.

KN

8. Cheers guys.

Maybe thats where I was going wrong - focussing on the car directly in front.

The other day I just gave up and filtered through it and went through with a commodore. Will give the whole, look over the car and might try slow-riding in my street - it was fine on the track when I went for me L's because the focus point didn't change at all and I was the only one going through the 'section' at the time. Bit different on the road with tin tanks.

9. You should be able to ride a bike at a slooow walking pace.

If ou can't do this, rock up to a Saturday learner parctice and ask us how.

10. ^ What greybm said,

You want to get to a point where you are completely relaxed, and can pretty much balance the bike with your body using minimal inputs from your hands. The more your tense or make jerky movements and rough throttle and clutch control the worse the overall balance of the bike gets and the more you have to correct to fix it etc. etc.
    smooooth, eyes up, trust the bike, it wants to stay up.

11. I practice this every time i ride. If the lights are about to go green, i try and keep my feet off the ground, balancing the bike using a combination of clutch, minor throttle inputs and rear brake. Now i have no problem, maybe give that a go.