Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sigma bike computer - how does it come apart??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by greenguzzi, Aug 10, 2006.

1. I just bought a Sigma 1606 bike computer for one of the Guzzis. (In case you don't know - yes, you can use them on motorbikes, they go to 200km/h.)

I bought the top of the range 1606 because it has a backlight. (It also comes with an extra pickup and magnet for the cadence display. So I have a spare pickup. Also the cadence magnet is different to the spoke magnet, and it easily sticks to the brake rotor. Much better than the spoke magnet.)

Getting back to the backlight: It's very good, but it only comes on for a few seconds after pushing the button. I figured a wire or two soldered on to the cct brd will fix that. But I can't get the thing apart! Has anyone else done this before?? Any suggestions on getting the thing apart appreciated. (Other than "use a hammer" and such.)

I also plan to hook up a 3V supply from the bike - but I figure I'd tackle the hard part first.

2. HHHMMRRFFF!!!! Spoil Sport :p

3. Most of the Sigma computers actually go to 299kmh.

Pretty sure you will find they are designed as a not servicable unit, i.e. you wont get it apart withour cracking the join on the casing. But if done carefully you should be able to glue it back together.

GOOD LUCK!

4. It's a Guzzi, not a 'bussa! Thanks ;)

5. The old ones used to. I replaced a BC800 with its update, which only goes to 200 km/h. But it doesn't matter, really. Such speeds are academic these days.

As for the "cadence" thing, what would that be good for on a motorbike? I think that it measures your pedalling speed or similar for a bicycle, doesn't it? And what info can you get from it?

The idea of a switchable backlight would be good, too. I wonder how you replace its light, if it's not an LED based one? Throw away the whole unit and buy a new one?

6. The cadence measures the speed at which you pedal.
    Essentially it's just another pickup and magnet. You could get fancy and stick it on your front sprocket :LOL:

Instead of hacking the thing open to hack the PCB, why not just mount it and wire in a 12V LED to light it up? then everything is external and if the led goes boom, its easy to replace.

When on this years icicle ride, I had the instructions in the map area on my tankbag but I couldnt read them unless I shon the surefire at the thing. Trust me, holding onto a torch and trying to read instructions/directions at 100km/h in the freezing cold is challenging.
    Next year I'm going to mount a few LED's to light up the map compartment of the tankbag.

7. I don't think you read my post carefully enough. I don't use the cadence function, it's just that I got a spare pickup (in case the first one fails or falls off or something) and the cadence magnet. The cadence magnet is much better suited to m/c use than is the "speed" spoke magnet.

And, yeah - I know I can fit an external LED (you can even buy a custom made one one from the UK), but I like the idea of a built in back light. I just need to make it stay on for longer..... Time to use the hammer maybe!!!

8. My Sigma BC800 had no trouble registering speeds over 400kph.

[img:320:240:bbebac0bac]http://www.thisstupidurl.com/speed2.jpg[/img:bbebac0bac]

I don't bother with cycle speedos any more. For $150 you can get a Speedo Healer which lets you adjust your bikes speedo.

9. Your bike goes over 400km/h?!! :shock:

My Guzzi has a cable, so that won't work. The only bike I have that has an electronic speedo is the BMW-K. And that has a pot to adjust the calibration, so I can do the same thing for free. I suspect that most electronic speedos have the same.

10. Yeah, I read your post, and carefully too. I was merely asking what good would the cadence thing be for on a bike. Perhaps I should have added "if you hooked it up".

11. Hmmm good point. I guess it's the equivalent of a tacho. I wonder how it would handle being hooked up tp the flywheel....... hehe .... :twisted:

12. Going a bit OT here, but what do cyclists use the cadence function for? I know that it measures pedalling speed, and that changes with the gears. But what do the riders do with the information?

13. You know, if you'd said that at the start of the post you could have saved me some reading. :wink: :LOL:

14. After 200,000 revolutions they have to get prosthetic knee joints?? :?

15. Mainly for training, you want to aim for keeping the pedals spinning at the same speed. It helps with endurance on long rides.

(P.s. My mountain bike is collecting dust since I got my L's)

16. Use the cadence receiver on the back wheel and the speed reciever on the front so you can see the difference in speed when you're lighting up the rear out of a corner, or when the front is up in the air! :LOL: