Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

*sigh* Not another newbie thread

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by twisties, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Unfortunately, yes. This is another Newbie thread.

Got my L's just last weekend and I'm now in the process of trying to find a bike. Gonna hopefully have a look at a Suzuki GS500 this weekend :D

Anyhoo, I look forward to spending some more time on these forums.

2. G'day twisties, welcome to NR. Congrats on the Ls and good luck with the bike hunting. The GS500 is a peach.
  3. Welcome Aboard !
  4. Ahoy hoy - welcome to NR!

That first bike will be sweeeeettt!!!!! :grin:
  5. Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Now I've gotta face that demon called 'Buying my first bike with no experience and don't wanna get burned' *scared*
  6. Hi twisties. Welcome to NR.

We can always use more twisties.
  7. Don't worry about it too much mate, we all get burned to a degree, just read the Do's and Don't's by people here on NR and don't rush into it. Gotta say though, buying a bike is alot of fun so be sure to take your time, test ride etc.

With the one you want it really doesn't hurt to get it mechanically checked out.

Good luck :grin:
  8. So I just called up a seller off bikesales.

Hopefully they'll answer the voice mail.

Anyone know of a good place to get it checked out on melbs west side?

And it's not just the whole being new to bikes that scares me. I've never even bought my own car, so I have sooo little knowledge of how the process goes :S

EDIT: Spot On Motorcycles (Elizabeth St, Melb), they have a GS500E listed on BikeSales for $5690..

A friend of mine think s they're dodgy and try to rip learners.

Anyone have their own opinion of them?
  9. Not sure about Spot On Motorcycles, but you'd be better off going private.
  10. I was in your shoes when i first started out. It can be pretty nerve racking. Do lots of reading and read up on what needs to be checked etc. and before you start talking price, give it a run to the mechanic, that way the problems can be discussed openly.

A big check is the steering stops as they get bent in the event of a crash. Not sure exactly how to describe how to find them but run down to a bike shop and ask them where to find the stops.
  11. I love the idea of taking it to a mechanic.

Do I ask the owner to ride it down? or take my first ride on the road, on an unfamiliar bike that isn't even mine?
  12. I think you both would be more comfortable if the owner rides it down. You incur the expense of it but it can potentially save you alot of money and problems later down the track.

Good luck with it!
  13. Got a bike!!! :D

2000 VTR250 yellow (and I know its an unpopular colour but I love it)
    8300 k's
    1 owner
    condition = SHMICK!

So happy, rode it home tonight and I'm still high off the experience.

Tomorrow, I'm finding a nice big carpark to practice.