Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sidestand not springing back properly

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by theeICEMAN, Jun 10, 2011.

1. I've read my manual (GPX250), doesn't really say anything about the problem I am currently having

I don't know if getting my sprockets and chain replaced had anythign to do with it as well..

but my sidestand doesn't spring back anymore. Its slow and it looks like I need to lube it? or replace the spring?
    It is so slow, its come to the point, that my engine turns off when I switch it to gear 1 from neutral AFTER I've just put my sidestand up. (That knob thingy is still coming out, and my bike thinks the sidestand is still down)

How do I fix this problem?
  2. Sounds like your sidestand switch is slow, not your sidestand.

Clean it. If that doesn't help, replace it, it will be cheap.

Mine gets covered in grease flung off the chain.

Fair warning: If it's dodgy, and you play with it, it might fail completley in a way that doesn't allow you to ride your bike anymore.
  3. Lube the sidestand pivot bolt. Right way is take it off, clean it, grease it. Quick way is soak in WD40. If it won't behave, you need a new spring. If you know anything about electrics you can bypass the sidestand switch until you fix it. Just don't forget to put it up before riding. Riders managed it for years before they became compulsory. That's the switch, riders have always been compulsory.
  4. Bend over and put some lube on it every now and again....works for me

p.s. wear something sexy and post pics
  5. I'm thinking about a belt-mounted Scottoiler for mine.
    Sorry, what was the question?
  6. Scott will be pleased.

"it puts the oil on it's skin or it gets the belt"
  7. Can't I have both?
  8. Hahahaha......the last time this happened Marty we had our posts deleted.

Is it time to post pictures yet?
  9. Iceman..........Iceman?.......