Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sidestand Idiot Switch

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Lobsta, Sep 6, 2008.

1. not sure if this is the right place for this one, it sorta spans laws/politics, maintenance and Horrible noob question. if this warrants moving, i am sorry mods (please be gentle)

Noticed today that the idiot switch that is supposed to kill the engine when my side stand goes down while i am in gear doesnt kill the engine when i put the stand down while i am in gear... There is a plastic thing with wires in it attached to the stand, but it definitely does nothing... Is this a required thing to have on a bike in QLD? should it have been caught by roadworthy? (got roadworthy cert dated 3 or 4 days ago, so if i can go shove it up them that would be a good thing)...

2. You might have to let the clutch out, to activate it.
  3. wont that stall the bike and thus defeat the point?

like, that will stop the stand from getting kicked down while moving (though im not sure killing the engine will be much more useful...

The bikes i rode at qride all had an idiot switch that killed the engine/wouldnt let you start the bike if the stand was down and you were in gear...

4. It is possible that it was working when you had the RW done, and has failed since?
    You could try gently prying the rubber boot back to see if the switch slide has jammed.

Or if you are able and know how to use one put a 'multi meter' on the wire terminals and see if you have continuity 'closed' at the switch with your stand down, then push the switch and see if the circuit 'opens'

If nothing changes then your switch is kaput, if it does change then best take it to a bike shop to rectify :)

Ps: yes I was nice and moved your thread into here :wink:
  5. Let the clutch out a little bit and it will cut the engine. Way before the friction point. Done it plently of times.
  6. My ZZR cutout only cuts the engine when it's in gear and the clutch is even a hair pulled in, before friction point.
  7. as soon as the clutch lever moves it will die. i did take off with the stand down once though... got me stuffed.
  8. I would be surprised if the stand switch is required anywhere.