Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Side stand mounting bolt ovaled :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by heffa, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Ok, so the mounting bolt hole for my side stand has ovaled out so much my SV650 stands on a nearly 45 degree angle. The mounting bracket this bolt hole is in can be replaced, but I've had no luck on a second hand one, and the new part is $130 ](*,)
    I'm guessing that replacement is gonna be the only option for the mounting bracket, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some latent genius on the forums can offer a practical and reliable suggestion.
    Any ideas?

2. Can you weld the hole and redrill?
  3. Have a look at some of the dowels used in car cylinder heads.
    They're thin hard tubes. Just find one with the right id.
    Could ream out the hole & press (Belt) one in :)
  4. Get a Bigger Bolt?
  5. Grab a tap and die set and rethread to a larger bolt size. It should round it out at the same time. Do the same to your stand.

Try to get a brass self-threading bolt and use (i think) purple loctite.

That should work, but again, i'm not 100% sure

Cheers, Lee
  6. I like Streetmaster's cylinder stud collor idea the best....try the bolt bars for collars.

Using a larger bolt is not the go as the original has a stepped shoulder.

Just to rub salt into the wound...the parts listing below is from a US site, US $63.13 for your bracket....are aussie's getting shafted or what..:bannanabutt:

Attached Files:

7. Rebushing an oval hole is a trivial job for any jobbing engineering company or machine shop. Have a word with your local bike workshop and find out wh does their machining work, then go there with a slab and a hopeful expression :D.
  8. You can redrill to a larger size but sooner or later it will wear again. I'd go for a bush. that way when it wears replace the bush.