Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Side Stand Lean

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ametha elf, Nov 4, 2011.

1. This might sound like a strange non-issue to most of you but I have problems if I park on a steep hill. Sometimes I just cannot lift my bike off the sidestand if its on too much of a lean downhill. I'm not strong, and my bike is fairly heavy (for me, anyway :)). I know its all about choosing how and where to park but sometimes there's just no other choice if its a hilly area with limited parking options.

2. Park on more of an angle with your front wheel more uphill and you will find it more manageable.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. why not just hold your front brake lever and lean the bike opposite to the stand?
  4. Have tried that! Short legs here (5 foot 1 in), can only lean so far!! , sometimes its just not far enough. :)
  5. I haven't had that problem on my bike but I wonder if the easiest thing to do would be to get the bike upright while standing next to it if you can't do it while on it. Sort of like doing the end part of picking up the bike from a drop - the only real difference is you're starting from the side stand. Does that make sense?

That is, stand next to it with your ass against the seat and walk backwards until it's upright. You'd have to hop on whilst balancing it which may take some practise to get used to but if there's no other choice...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for that. Will give it a try. Problem is, since I ride alone, hopefully I can get it right first time without it toppling over the other way. :)
  7. Practise a few times at home to with a helper if you can.

I tend to have the opposite problem. I park on an opposite incline so the bike isn't leaning much so When I get off, it wants to fall the other way if I put any weight on the right hand side it'll fall.and I sort of need to put weight on the right hand side to get leverage to pushboff to the left. On my last ride, I called my pal over to give me a hand to get off haha. I only felt slightly stupid.

Next time I must try the trick of standing on the left peg while I get off.
  8. Add a pad to the bottom of the sidestand,there are bits available that mount onto BMW sidestands to stop them sinking into soft dirt.They bolt on to some bikes,dont remember who sells them.Have a look at how yours sits while up to see if that would work.It will hold the bike straighter which might make it more unstable,its a trade off.Even a large nut welded there would work,I have been modifying stands after modifying suspension and ride heights for years.Even different aspect rear tyres have an effect,60 aspect to 90 aspect raises the rear a lot and changes the angle of the sidestand
    • Like Like x 1
  9. If I follow through when I get my leg over it can be enough to get the bike straight. Also been known to push it to a flat bit.
  10. Hi ametha... I feel your pain!!.... I too am a short arse!! :-s

On upgrading from the 250 to the 600, I had a bike height, weight and handling upgrade too!!.

I live on a steep hill with a slanted driveway and had dropped the 250 previously navigating angles etc. Due to necessity, I perfected the following when getting the 600 off the side stand on a sloping angle:

* Place the left leg as close to the bike as possible once on the seat for as much leverage as possible.8-[

* Front break on (due to uphill slant of driveway)

* In one movement, shove/jerk the bike to the right (with body weight and handlebars) and push with the left leg to get the bike upright.

* Once upright, lift up side stand, rear break on....and hill start....

Hope this helps!!.....;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If I feel the bike might be on too much of an angle near the gutter, I try and go a little more forward and then back in, rear wheel nearer the edge and front wheel uphill. The curve of the road is then under the sidestand and sits the bike more upright.

You could drop a brick in your handbag... LOL.

It all depends on the constraints of the spot. It's not much good us giving advice - and having a giggle at your expense - if the things (serious ones, anyway) we suggest are not possible in the only spot available.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. A thin skateboard wheel would work. Or one cut in half. Small enough for the pocket and lots of grip.
    Could always lacky band it to the keys.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm with twistngo, the follow through. Get the front wheel straight, hold front brake hard. As you climb on you gotta just throw your leg over it and use your body weight to lift it. Get on from the left but treat it like your about to get straight off it to the right like your swapping feet at the lights. I might be a 95kg bloke but I'm not overly tall, with my old blackbird I was on my toes normally and the bike weighed 250kg dry from memory. There were times on nasty hills when I just had to throw myself off the side to lift it. The bike would ever so slowly lift off the stand and there'd be a point where both feet are dangling in the air for a second till it transferred to the right.
    • Like Like x 1