Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Side stand cutoff switch?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by removed-6, Mar 3, 2006.

1. So I just got my bike and the cutoff switch was disconnected (wires cut and soldered together) Being a learner I figure this feature is not such a bad thing. So as the switch is intact with the cut wires hanging out I figure I'II just reconnect them. Now there's a piece of about 10cm been cut out so I get some connectors and a piece of wire and connect the whole thing up again, start her up try it out and it works a treat, great! Then I go for a ride and the bike has a terrible missfire when putting the power down.

Q1- can this be caused by the switch being faulty?
    Q2- can it be because the wire I inserted was a smaller diameter/thinner than the original?

Help!

2. I'm unsure as to how the side stand cut off switch could be related to a misfire? :? Can you explain why they might be related or is the answer you're looking for simply "no"? :?

3. Could be possible that since the length of wire you spliced in is a smaller diameter that insufficient power is getting through the switch - causing the ignition to cut in and out. Of course it could also be caused by a faulty switch or something totally unrelated (like a dodgy sparkplug). Really hard to tell - might get an answer easier if you actually let everyone know what the bike is.

4. I would suggest tracing the wire back, and repinning each end of the connectors.

It's only 2 wires, but really there is not any power going through them it's a switching line, so it should't affect anything else on your bike other than being able to take off.

Which I learned the hard way, and had to ask someone what my bike was doing. I felt like a **** after that.

5. I might be wrong on this but I always thought that although the putting the side stand down whilst riding would kill the engine - putting the stand back up with the engine in gear would restart it again due to forward momentum (not something I'd be game to try in practice though). If so then a faulty switch/wiring could cause the engine to cut in and out. Chances are the previous owner disconnected the side stand switch for a reason - most likely that it doesn't work (could just be that it's oversensitive to the stand moving slightly).

6. That's what I was thinking. BTW it's a Hyosung GT250. I will disconnect again today and see if it rectifies the problem.

7. If the bike is new and under warranty, you probably shouldn't be fooling around with the wiring. (Question, who cut the wires in the first place?) Take it back to an official Hyosung dealer.

If you bought it from someone else and HE fooled around with the wiring, and it's still under warranty, take it back to an official Hyosung dealer.

If you bought it from someone else and HE fooled around with the wiring, and it's NOT under warranty, take it back to an official Hyosung dealer anyway, bike wiring is pretty complex and the sidestand switch IS linked into the ignition circuit.

8. I've heard something about the Hyosungs having dodgy sidestands - basically that they're too sensitive so the slightest movement of the stand activates the cut-out switch. First thing to try would be to check just how much movement really is needed - try running the engine with the bike in gear but stationary and see how much you need to move the sidestand down to kill the engine (might be easier with someone else on the bike holding the clutch). May be possible to adjust/move the switch so it doesn't kick in until the stand is further down (if this is indeed the problem). If it's under warranty then that might be worth a shot but as far as bike electrics being complex Hornet :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (try working on a modern car sometime :shock:).

9. Well cutting the two wires and soldering them together as it was before seems to have fixed the problem. I once again have smooth power delivery. Oh well, no side stand cutoff for me. Mental note, don't forget side stand!

10. Hmm, I dunno mate, I'd want to get that sorted out.

Last thing you want to do is pole vault a left hander out of forgetfulness.

11. Since Pnut's buggered off to PI...

YES, sidestand switches can do that sorta thing.
    The previous owner was too stingy to buy a new switch and took the cheap option. Cabling should be extended via appropriated diameter-stuff, but that's NOT the problem here.
    The switch is buggered, should be replaced, properly soldered/ heatshrunk back into the wiring harness.

12. Thanks! Both polite and the truth :grin:

13. Mental note is not enough - get it fixed!
    Was out riding today and saw a guy standing by his bike out in the country side. As I passed by I noticed that the bike looked a little worse for wear, so I went back to see if I could help.
    This guy was extremely lucky ( his words) he had narrowly avoided a head on with a car when he couldn't lean into a left hander BECAUSE HIS SIDESTAND WAS DOWN.
    He thought maybe he'd broken his toe, but the bike -it was a mess.
    It seems the previous owner had disconnected the cut off switch.
    (Cue the do do do do music)