Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Side-mounted numberplate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by YammyBase, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Hey all
    I know that isn't legal to have the side mounted number plate in NSW (view angle.. and distance.. yadiyada)

But just like how lane filtering used to be illegal and wasn't regulated...
    And so with aftermarket exhausts..

I want to know if there's anyone with real life experience with side mounted number plate.

I've seen number of sports bike riders with their number plate tucked in all the way to their rear huggers and wonder if they get in trouble.. (u can clearly see it but not from the height of the speed camera)

Is it an absolute no no here in NSW or is it just matter of "I bought it like this and didn't know"

Thanks guys in advance.

2. I don't have any direct knowledge of instances in NSW but it is about revenue, if the toll systems can't read the plate then plate visibility would be enforced. Ditto with Speed cameras, red light cameras etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It is absolutely an offence if it doesn't meet the requirement of the ADR. I've heard all the excuses, if I stopped you and you had a side mounted plate, you get a TIN, no matter you bought it like that or otherwise. Onus is on the rider, and ignorance is not excuse.

Further, there has never been NSW legislation against lane filtering.
  4. Hi @YammyBase@YammyBase i know you are new here, but you should really try the search function.

Cheers Jeremy
  5. When is the ADR going to be aligned?
  6. As noted, it's been covered before, but neither are strictly illegal, but must comply with the adr.

So if it can be viewed from within the arc and complies in all other senses, it may be side mounted or some other place.
  7. From memory the rule doesn't state the plate needs to be in the area, but instead it must be able to be viewed from the area.

So the areas in green (below) would still be valid.
    You do see some trucks and 4wd complied with side mounted plates.
  8. A lot of side mounted are not upright either, which is an issue too.
  9. People are fined for it. You can get away with it for some time. But I can't see why on earth you'd bother. There are far more fun ways to lose 3 points.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I got one right and a correct from justus. :) :) :) :) :dance
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Although that picture proves you could have a side mounted plate you could see from the viewing window. It doesn't have to be in line with the axel. Most are mounted rearward and higher than that.
  12. It doesn't comply because it is vertical, but if it was horizontal and out 2 more inches it could been viewed from every angle of requirement.

I'm not sure what you are having trouble with either.:D
  13. It would also fail the general safety requirements because it would fit the definition of a sharp protrusion. It would also look fekkin stupid to have a rego plate sticking out like that. I've written a compliance report for a car which has the number plate on one side of the centreline of the front bumper (and it was approved by the Tassie Vehicle Standards guys), no worries. However, it's a waste of time and money for a bike because it simply isn't wide enough to make it work without contravening safety rules.
  14. 2013-Harley-Davidson-CVO Breakout-07.

Here's one that shows it's absolutely possible to meet "view-ability" requirements. Even though it's probably not 45deg it obvious it would be visible with another 10-14 degree of rotation.

I'd have to see the definition of a sharp protrusion to debate your point Danny, but will take your word for it.

It's just had me a bit baffle that Justus can't visualise the above image.

And yeah, I don't disagree that it looks stupid. Just saying it is possible to meet the visibility requirements.
  15. I believe there are also circumstances where an upside down mounted number plate is OK.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OK, tell me why you are focussing on the axel? I'm not claiming you can attach to the axel and comply. I'm just claiming you could have it side mounted and comply.

That photo provided clearly demonstrates it can be mounted on the side and still have visibility at 45deg from the opposite side. That photo is taken at about 30-40deg offset and there is still heeps of room to go before it is obscured.

(Sharpe protrusion aside)
  17. ]

Even you admitted in your first post that you cant see it at 45 degrees.

18. #18 ibast, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
    yes and as i just said it's 30-40 deg with plenty of room to spare. looks to me it would be visibile even at 55deg

ps; its good to see you're still about
  19. To be visible at 45 its last letter must be at least as far away from the bike as it is from the rear. Thats basic trigonometry.

If it is then it could be legal, but it would be so far out on a stupid stalks that what is the point. I see wanting to wrap it vertically over the rear sprocket as that is neat and makes the bike look good. Why put it out on stalks.

Maybe it still might not be legal as it might need to be within the line of the handlebar ends as well. I guess this depends on your bars
  20. VC, that's pretty poor form, even for you! Haven't you realised that when you mis-quote someone, or quote them out of context (or both), you have to make it a good one, like this:

Now, surely you have to admit that mine is a far better mis-quote! ;)