Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Side mounted number plate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Lukey54, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I know it's not legal in Vic (where I live) but was wondering if anyone who has a side mounted plate ever been pulled over booked for it.
    Lukey

2. I noticed Victory seem to be selling brand new bikes with side mounted plate holders. Would love to know how that works.

3. The Ducati Diavel will have one.

Correction:
    The Diavel's plate, though technically mounted on the side, actually extras back and over the back tyre such that it meets the ADR.

4. All the Government would be worried about is "can it still be seen by a speed camera".

5. ISTR there's a regulation somewhere (though I can't remember where) that specifies that the rego plate must be clearly visible from an angle of 45 degrees either side of the centreline of the bike. I've yet to see a sidemount plate that would comply.

I used to run one in the UK with no problems, as did many other riders of modified bikes, but, even with the influence of Europe, they're vastly less anally beige than Australia when it comes to "roadworthiness" issues.

6. if they can see it with a speed camera, then it'll be fine. that's all they care about.

7. Yeah and even if you had one that complied some filth is going to pull you over and have an argument with you. Even if you win the argument, he's going to find something else.

8. Aint that the truth.

9. I've seen that reg in WA, back when it was my job to know such things. Can't remember which legislation it fell under though.

10. Victorian Safety (Vehicle) Regulations 2009

48. Affixing number plate

(d) the number or letters, or both, on the number plate are clearly visible
    from a distance of 20 metres from the number plate at any point within the
    space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and a vertical arc of 45
    degrees, as indicated by the shaded areas in figures 5 and 6; and

and

g) for a motor cycle or trailer, the number plate is affixed to the rear of the
    motor cycle or trailer.

The only thing I know about WA is where to find it on a map, but looking at your legislation I reckon you could actually get away with it.

W.A Road Traffic (Licensing) Regulations 1975

25. Number plate to be fixed on vehicle

in the case of a motor cycle or a trailer or jinker as defined in the Road Traffic
    (Vehicle Standards) Regulations 2002 , the identification tablet or number plate
    is fixed and kept in a conspicuous place on the back of the vehicle, in an upright
    position and so that the characters thereon are clearly visible and legible, by day
    and by night;

Justus.

11. Just a quick update. Saw a Harley today, one of the newish Sportster variants, with what looked like a factory sidemount. It was, unusually, on the left and was set well backwards. Looked like the angles of visibility might have been legal.

12. nope not legal, has to be in stock position at the rear of the motorcycle not the side, i had this argument with a bike copper when i was pulled over riding this on the black spur... i was sent home and told to refit the plate where it was blah blah... thing is from speed camera side it was visible, eastlink didnt get me though... but nice policeman said i dont care i cant see it from the right hand side enough said, illegal LOL... ok so i went home and that day the fender eliminator thing turned up and i fitted the bugger where it should be and it looked crap compared to where it was....... even more interesting, nothing was said about the rear indicators! they are awesome though.... or were, sold this bugger a while ago

IMG_0044.
    IMG_0039.

13. I'm begining to think that to have a legal side mount it would have to be right back almost flush with the tyre and that would make it look out of place but I suppose it could be done.
    Lukey

14. As Pat notes, Hardley have made one ADR compliant. It isn't in-line with the rear of the tyre but it is well back. Nightster btw

15. Gotta see one of those.
    Lukey

16. here you go. Looks like it barely makes it on the off side.

Attached Files:

17. Yup, that's what I saw. In silver.

18. I'd like to know if any one has ever taken delivery of a brand new bike in Vic or anywhere in Aust. and it's had a side mount already fitted.
    Lukey

19. Why? The nightster appears to comply with rule 48 (d) that you listed (all be it barely).

I'm pretty sure I've seen Nightsters in NSW with the side mount.

[edit] looking at the ones on bikesales in NSW are all rear mount. Still reckon the side mount complies. HD must have struck a pig-headed compliance officer.

20. Two reasons, as below champ.

(1) Legislation clearly says it must be visible at any point within the space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and a vertical arc of 45 degrees,
    as indicated by the shaded areas in figures 5 and 6.

Refer to figure 6. If you are standing directly behind the bike & to the right of the wheel, it is not possible to see the registration plate.

09-118sr04-1.

Source: RS Regulations 2009.

(2) Complying with 48 (d), alone is not sufficient. Refer to the wording.

(d) the number or letters, or both, on the number plate are clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres from the number plate at any point within the space
    produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and a vertical arc of 45 degrees, as indicated by the shaded areas in figures 5 and 6; and

(e) any cover on the number plate—
    (i) is clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface; and
    (ii) has no reflective or other characteristics that would prevent the successful operation of a device approved for use under a law relating to the detection
    of traffic offences; and

(f) for a motor vehicle other than a motor cycle, one number plate is affixed to the front of the vehicle and another to its rear; and

(g) for a motor cycle or trailer, the number plate is affixed to the rear of the motor cycle or trailer.

Like I said, I've only ever seen rear mounts on bikes from the showroom.

I should add that it makes not one iota of difference to a member of police whether you purchased your bike with side mounted plates or you moved them
    yourself. Pointing the finger at HD does not change the end result. He or she will defect your ride if in their view any part of the bike does not comply with
    what they believe the regulations to be.

Police are actively defecting bikes moreso now than at any time in the past. The authorities are using any avenue available to them to remove bikes from
    the road.

Justus.