Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Side mount stop light and licence plates?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by subscan, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hi All

Are they legal in victoria.?

I see some choppers getting around with them?
  2. Yep they just have to be at the rear of the bike. There are height specs though.
  3. What about those ones underneath the tail, but very close to the rear hugger? are they legal? Saw lots in US, here just saw once.
  4. The brake light must be at least 350mm above ground. There's some more details here:

www. vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/2F4D64FE-B1A5-48D1-B848-19CD5F8176D7/0/VSI4.pdf

(sorry for the dud link, haven't got enough posts yet :? )

5. subscan ... if you are referring to the blue chopper that was on thursday nights ride, no it is not legal.
    This particular bike has a 'cat's eye' taillight, meaning a red lens with a small blue area in the middle, causing the taillight to look purple ... not legal.
    Also, the way the number plate is mounted on the side of the wheel is not legal either.
    Most cops wouldn't really bother as it isn't a major offence, but it does save the owner a lot of speeding fines.
  6. No I didnt see it on a Blue chopper.

But you have described exactly what I mean

I knew the blue Dot is not legal.

I wanted to move my plate to the side (bobber style) with a plate light

And leave the tail light on the fender
  7. Just check the link..Scotty (thanks)

It looks like part 3.1 would rule out a single side monted stop light

But you could have one either side .....mmmm diffrent

But looks like you can have white front indacators ???????????