Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Side mount plate

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by andrewd, May 10, 2009.

1. just wanting to know the legalities regarding side mounting a plate in victoria on a cruiser...

i've searched the vicroads etc... pages and nothing... anyone with some 1st hand info?

there's plenty of choppers running around with them, but im unsure

2. This is an ADR issue, which you can find by sorting through this document. Its towards the end, and details the design rules for mounting a licence plate on vehicles. The segment you are interested in says this:

It also says that your registration label should be displayed in 'a conspicuous position on the vehicle' (ie: almost anywhere). I take both those to mean that you may display the plate in a sideways mount, so long as the plate can be read by those following and is at least 300mm above the ground at its centre.

Prior acceptable standards are detailed near the top, and may good to look up.

Cheers - boingk
  3. thanks mate! :grin:
  4. if i have a sidways mounted plate, which fits all the other criteria (above ground at certain height, conspicuous position etc), that would make it alot less detectable by fixed cameras, eh? .... :idea: :p