Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Showing the Wheel

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Rattus Norvegicus, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Sweeties a dear old chum of mine and my charming self went for a tootle around one of outer Sydney's more curvious roads recently.

We happened upon a number of other road riders during our sojourn, I had new tyres on my steed and wished to scrub them in whilst removing the poultry. On a number of occasions I showed my wheel to other riders, only seemly to be ignored. Darlings, yes, I could have blasted straight by them, but I have always thought that a little uncouth, particualry on heavily patrolled roads.

My question is this - Does the ettiquette of showing ones wheel as an indication that you wish to venture forth no longer exist?

Or is it simply that it is a signal that no longer resonates with the current road riding fraternity?

2. Well I have no idea what "showing the wheel" means...

Fun Ha!

3. if someone showed me the wheel i would think to let them by, some people have no idea though.

4. Also. Please explain?

paul.

5. Um what's showing 'the wheel'..is it an action done with the riders hands? Or does it involve the bike..coz if showing the wheel was in fact, the act of bringing the wheel of your steed airborne by way of the release of many horses though circular motions of your velcomatrix ...then I'd be obliged to move aside as your intentions would be very apparent...if not immanent.
    If there is a rider behind me making rapid progress I'll hold a line to the left,making visual contact I'll give the 'over that way there' sortta nod/headflick to indicate I want him to pass.
    Otherwise I don't know either.

6. Three possible responses;
    - it's a noob, who gets rattled by the sight of a bike in close proximity and spears off into the bushes
    - rider will point with toe which side he expects you to pass,
    or,
    - it's 'on'.

7. I think it's a metaphor for flashing your todger.

Maybe he wasn't impressed by your "wheel" Ratty.

8. Do you have a less contrived way of getting the message across?

9. Oh FFS.
    'Showing a wheel' is a racetrack term for riding up close to the rider ahead, usually on the brakes, without actually going past. This may be part of an attempted pass, or a tactic.
    Race bikes don't have mirrors. After having been shown a wheel, the rider in front will know you are there.

10. Sweetie indeed it is, well stated in plain simple non-contrived English.

Sugarplums amongst the older school fraternity it was used as an indication of intent, not to intimidate. It was, if you will an announcement that you there and wished to proceed forward. Lovelies imagine if you where part of a group ride and were happened upon, by those wishing to pass you. Potentially that pass my not happen in a continuous sweep around, hence the need to "Show the Wheel"

Am I being scurrilous in suggesting passing a ride group?

11. Sounds like a kaants act on the road. Road bikes do have mirrors.

12. Rattus my dear friend, if you showed me your wheel on a public road I would immediatly yield to your obviously superiour riding skills and let you past, while I mumble to myself, "what a f**king wanker, this isn't race track".

13. Widen the definition to 'making the other rider aware of your presence', and it all starts to make sense.
    Not to be confused with 'stuffing one up the inside at turn-in'.

14. Ah, yes that does make much more sense. But making the other rider aware of your presence is a long way of from showing them your wheel. In order to show someone your wheel you would have to be beside them, not a good position to be in on a public road.

15. Ive been on both ends of that on road and track. On the road I just see it as an indication they dont want to stay behind you but dont want to fk you over with a stupid pass. Wait for a little bit of decent road, a wave of the right foot and they are past. Well tahst why Ive done it anyway.Everyone happy. Actually much the same on the track for ride days.Not racing though.

16. My idea of popping the bike up on to her back wheel as an indication that you want to pass is safer and more subtle.

17. Yep. :)

(Read my Sig) :)

18. What about people overtaking withing your lane?

:bolt:

19. erm Mick, that's a little rigged, mate.

You don't have to be "racing" to find yourself behind a slower rider, and passing them it just that...a pass...nothing to do with racing.
    It's such a relative phrase, mate. One persons race can be another persons cruise.

John.

20. Very poor form if you have'nt been acknowledged by the rider ahead.
    But if the lead rider moves to the left and indicates for you to pass them, then for sure, stay in the same lane, if it's necessary. (double lines etc.)
    If it's not necessary, then pass properly!