Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should you replace sprockets when you replace chain?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by StereoHead, Nov 30, 2005.

1. I have a recent model Kawasaki, I ride it to work every day... Now... Generally I treat the bike very well, but work has been really hecktic recently, and my bike doesnt have a centre stand... So I have been putting off little (but important) jobs...

In any case... I think I left it too late to oil my chain, now some of the links are not rotating nicely, so ...

I want to buy a new chain, but my mechanic recommends that I get new sprockets at the same time....

The sprockets cost money that I dont have right now, and they look ok...

Is it a really bad thing if I dont replace them?

Or is there some sort of health spa treatment for chains? I dont think it can be removed from the bike....
  2. Sprockets are pretty cheap... And plus you can change the gearing on your bike to make it do more wheelies, which is cool and will gain you the admiration of the opposite sex.

1 vote for at least giving them a good check...
  3. So long as you still have reasonable flats on the tops of the teeth then it should be fine.

It's not like cams and cam followers.

Ideally yes/maybe, but if you don't have the dough, . . pfft.
  4. I thought sprockets were about $150 .... not cheap at the moment...
  5. My wheelies are pretty good already, but then again.... It would be nice to make it easier :)
  6. <grandpa>Why in my day, you could buy a whole bike for $150. Of course, then you'd take off the sprockets and wear them instead of pants, as was the style of the time.</grandpa>
  7. In your day bikes were driven by leather belts
  8. Perhaps you could ride the other bike to work until you have enough money to buy the chain and sprockets. It would be a pity to spoil a new chain with worn out sprockets.
  9. I just put a new chain and sprockets on the other bike too... :(

one of the reasons I dont have money.... (new front brakes, brake pads, oil filter, spark plugs, new sprockets, chain, etc etc).. I dont want to sell anyone a dodgy bike.... so I've fixed it up...

Now if I could just sell the darned thing
  10. Come to Shopping night tonight (Ringwood) and get sprockets at around $25 fronts/ 50-65 rears.
    NEVER a new chain without at least a new front sprocket...waste of funds otherwise (unless the sprocket has done miniscule mileage with the old chain).
  11. Ok... I will buy new sprockets then.... that will learn me for not looking after my chain properly... :(

Might look into getting a scotoiler...
  12. Actually Pete, Bikemart doesn't stock sprockets for road bikes... It's an order-in job. Was just talking to Brian on the phone. Incidentally the DID ZVM2 chain retails for about $255 (ouch!)
  13. Less discount !! and well worth it.
    Yes, sprockets have to be ordered in, way too many different ones for a single retailer to keep on the shelf. Lead-time usually 1-2 days, as they come through Cykel (JT-brand anyway) in Bayswater.
    Can't remember who distros the AFAM's, but they're pretty much the same anyway (lead-time there 1-3 days).
  14. Here's a story about cost cutting and chains and sprockets.

A mate decided to use some chain that drives certain bits of plant at work. It was the same size and pitch as fitted to his then Kawasaki Z1000 Mk II. Chain cost nothing, obviously. He installed it. A week later it was stuffed. Stretch beyond belief. It had also chewed out his sprockets which, while worn, were at the time still servicable.

The industrial chain wasn't up to the task of handling either the loads or the centrifugal forces, even though, to look at it, it appeared identical to the bike chain that normally goes on the bike.

So, he was up for a new chain and new sprockets.

This was back in the early days of 0-ring chains and they were "endless", meaning the swingarm had to be removed in order to fit them. Hence the persuasion to fit a free supplied industrial chain.

Chains of that size weren't recommended to have joining links (although I ran for 10,000 km on a ZZR1100 with one...)

So, as others have said, when replacing the chain, replace the sprockets as well. Otherwise, they'll accelerate wear on the chain.
  15. Are you sure a really good clean and lube wont resurrect the chain?
  16. Soak the chain in Kero, then give it a good lube with engine oil. It should loosen the kinked parts of the chain. And give you a couple of thou more km's.

If Not...

Replace the sprockets as well as the chain.
    I got 27000km's out of a chain. I only replaced the chain and got 15000 out of the next chain. It's false economy. You will go through more chains.
  17. I dont think I could get the chain off the bike ....
  18. Then soak it in stages, remove the rear wheel and let it hang in an icecream tub filled with Kero. Every hour or two rotate the chain so that the next section is soaking.

Only costs the price of the Kero, and may temporarily solve your problem.