Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should you buy a bike thats over 50,000 k's.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by banditbob, Oct 11, 2006.

1. I've come across a yamaha 250 zeal going at a very attractive price but its done just over 60,000 k's.

As a motorcycling newbie, i was wanting to know how big an issue this is. Are there likely to be a number of mechanical or performance problems within the first year? Also if its on 75000 k's by the time i wanna sell it...will the resale value be crapola by that stage?

The bike looks gr8 and its around 1-2000 dollars cheaper than most zeals out there.

So any ideas?
  2. If you're only using it for a learner, and it's priced that low then hey why not. You might want to get a mechanical check to make sure it's running ok though. It is a lot of ks for a 250, but it's not massively excessive and it's been priced accordingly.
  3. Sorry, i thought you said the bike was going for around $1000-$2000!! I'd be asking for a bit more off the price cause there's plenty of other Zeals out there worth paying an extra $1000 for.
  4. If it's been regularly serviced and hopefully not sufferred a bad drop, then you should be okay. What year is it? How long do you intend holding onto it for? It looks like you're only going to keep it for 10-15000 kays or so, yeah? A Yammy donk looked after at 60,000 should not be a problem at all. Budget for some top-end work i.e. tighten everything up and adjusted.
  5. When I bought my Hornet it had 54,000 on it (1998 Model, bought it in March '05)
    It hasn't missed a beat and just turned over 80,000 kms.
    Jap engines are bulletproof if you maintain the service intervals.....
  6. If you can save a few grand do it. I've only done 1k on my 1980 model cb250 with 80'000k's, but this thing is perfectly tight, and will offer years of reliable service.

People are afraid of high K's for no reason. It's only an issue if the bike hasn't been looked after (especially oil changes on small rice grinders). If the engine sounds and feels good, then there's no reason to expect problems for a long time.
  7. that's not eswen and my experience, our supposedly bulletproof gpz and zzr engines were kaputt after moderate km's.

re. the zeal buy it, ride it, wind back the clock then sell it, you'll make a healthy profit.. :p wait did i say that out loud. 8-[
  8. You're not serious about winding the clock back are you?
  9. ^^^note the smiley face at the end of the sentence :p

I'd get a bike doctor to check everything out first before handing over the money. Also, see if you can get hold of the service history because if that’s been adhered to then it should still be fine.

Mind you, lemons come in all shapes and sizes. A mate of mine had a very clean zzr250 with only 45k on the clock. 9 months later it was blowing blue smoke and making loud bang noises. To cut a long story short, he paid $3500 for it and got $500 back from the wreakers he pushed it too.

Be careful!!
  10. I've heard people saying 250s can be risky buys past 40-50 thousand Ks.

For a 600, 900 or 1000 how high would the kms be before you start getting suss?

As I've done hundreds of ks on my zzr and only had it for a week, makes me wonder if I'm going to run it into the ground until I'm 25 and won't get murded by insurance or if I'll just upgrade to a 600 asap...
  11. Good thing this Netrider ey Paul, had you not found it that bike woudl have had 280,000km and would be needing replacing :rofl:
  12. hmm its a 99 model...but yeh ill def be bidding pretty low.

I'll get info on owner history, damage etc.

So anyone have any thoughts on how difficult it wld b to sell a 250 thats clocked over 75,000 k's?
  13. Those Kawasaki's are well known to wear out at moderate km's. 250 durability does vary a lot based on the model.

I did generalise too much in my comments. Many 250's will be fine at high k's, however just as many will certainly be messed up by moderate k's.

Zeal's however are one of the good' uns and he should be fine with that bike.
  14. High Ks is not an issue if the bike has been looked after and serviced properly. Just recently I bought a 1996 Suzuki GSX750F with 71K on the clock that was highly recommended by my mechanic - he serviced the bike from day 1, told me the engine was like it had done 10K and he would buy the bike himself. So high Ks are not an issue if the bike has not been abused - especially if it is a Jap machine.
    Good luck! :grin:
  15. PS: make a condition of the purchase that you take the bike for a mechanical check before buying ALL THE TIMES. Trust me, this approach saved me buying some lemons dressed up as street warriors!! :cool:
  16. That’s a relief, hang on Paul, did you say 80,000km?

Mines done 180,000 km :deal:
    But thats ok; it’s not a Jap engine. :cheeky: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  17. +++1: just bought a cage without doing this and ended up with huge problems and huge extra costs (slaps self upside da head)
  18. Depends on the bike, the age of the guy selling it, what it looks like, etc..

Best way to find out is to get the bike checked. Remember too, to flog the bags out of a large capacity bike on public roads, two things may happen; (1) the rider will soon be separated from his licence or (b) that he'll come to grief big time. In other words it's difficult to continually give a big bike a flogging in such an environment.

If a 1000 is ridden sensibly it should be good for 200,000 km. Of course, other bits and pieces will probably need replacing, such as suspension components, possibly clutch, timing chains, wheel bearings. etc. as nothing is wear-proof.

I sold 1100s that had over 90,000 km on them which were in good nick.

The one worry is if a bike's been regularly used as a track bike. Probably more relevant to 600s and 750s than say a sports tourer like a Blackbird.

In my experience in buying and selling bikes, the average punter seems to think that anything with more than 20k km on it is stuffed and hence should be priced accordingly. But the same guy will ask top dollar for his bike which will have heaps more on it.

Best to do your research. Start with www.redbook.com.au and search for average motorcycle values for the models that you're interested in. Then see what people are asking for them in the trader mags, ww.bikepoint.com.au and www.bikesales.com.au

Good luck.
  19. My GT550 has 130,000 and is going strong - mechanically very smooth, the only problem being a crack in the frame - I booked it in today and the experts quoted me a cheap fix (it's something I should have checked when testing the bike for purchase). I doubt it's otherwise had much spent on it. When I was buying I checked out the reviews of each model - which ones typically last 100,000, which ones (like mine) 200,000. It's a bike by bike thing. My old SR185 has 50,000 and putts along very happily. Sports bikes, I am guessing, are riskier than other bikes, because they're more likely to have been thrashed. I spent $1500 on the GT, and that's the most I've ever spent, out of my four bikes which have been my (only) daily transport and weekend tourers for four years.

I highly recommend taking an experienced mate along to have a look, and reading up on things to check (like cracked frames) and making a check list so you don't forget to do so when you're there (doh!).
  20. my bike had 83kkm when i bought it 2 months ago, its been serviced regularly every 4-6kkm, the guy knew the service history off the top of his head and told me that i had about 2-3kkm before the next service was due :).

but yeah, if it passes mechanical inspection, starts easily enough, isnt hemmorhaging any green black or clear fluids & not blowing smoke and handles and looks straight then she should be sweet as a nut.

the whole "a bikes f*ked after 30,000km" mentality comes from posers who buy a bike to look tuff and sit around drinking coffee and just talk utter bullshit and dont ride whatsoever and then sell the bike after 12-15 months because its "last years model". coffee & beer is good (also as long as thats not ALL you do), as long as your also realistic.