Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should this bike be changed to a car?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by TAX123, Nov 10, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

the importers want to change the ADR to make this trike be classed as a car, so people with a car licence can ride it, at the moment you need a full riders licence to ride these things.

Should 3 wheel motorbikes (trikes) be classed as cars?

2. I'm inclined to think of trikes (particularly the reverse-layout ones such as the Can-Am) as cars with no bodywork and a wheel missing.

Control layout aside, their handling is that of a dual-track vehicle and their track width is similar to that of a (very) small hatchback car.

Motorcycles, scooters and bicycles are all single-track vehicles and their handling (in terms of how the rider negotiates a turn on one) is completely different to that of a dual-track vehicle.

(Yes, I'm aware that my definition would place quadbikes on a car license. In Australia they aren't particularly road-legal, however)

On the otherhand, "motorcycle" classification probably allows them to bypass certain car safety standards, such as side impact protection. :p
  3. I would classify that as a waste of time.
  4. so you think a car licence for the can am but i bike licence for the 3 wheels scoots eg mp3

I notice you ride a tiger, have you read the Cycletorque magazine for this month, which you pick up free at a local dealer, its got a whole story on the Triumph range, including the tiger, which the guy was impressed with on and off road
  5. Yes; the MP3, Fuoco (3 wheels) and the concept Yamaha Tesseract (4 wheels) all behave as single-track vehicles, turning via countersteering, both front wheels acting as if they were just one wheel, etc.

The Can-Am Spyder and the others like it drive in the manner of a car; they aren't countersteered, they don't "lean in", and they definitely don't fit in motorcycle parking bays in NSW or through the UK's motorcycle filtering lanes. About the only thing the Can-Am has in common with a motorcycle are handlebars and a total lack of crash protection. ;)

As for the Tiggly... Haven't seen CycleTorque, no. They're not bad bikes (but then, there aren't many bad bikes these days). Upright sports-tourer. Does the job. ;)
  6. I can imagine trying to lanesplit on one of those things :LOL:
  7. I can definitely see a fair few car drivers baling off those things if they tried to turn too fast, though...
  8. If it were reclassified as a car it'd be subject to car ADR's and safety requirements. I don't think you'd be able to sell it here.

I like it, and I appreciate the company is doing something different, but let's not encumber it with legislation.
  9. Apart from the commercial considerations, the main issue is, who is capable of piloting the thing safely? Given the exposure, the answer is obvious. Only those with a bike license would be anywhere near prepared at a base level.
    Not perfect, but a league better than basic cage training.
  10. I've been in a group ride with one of these. When it goes around corners it leans out, like a car. No counter-steering. It even has a foot brake, like a car. If it skids (presumably) it'll stay upright.

I would say its like a buggy or convertible, but it has no seat belt. No side impact protection. No air bags. No roll-over bars.

So it has some of the dangers of a motorcycle. It won't lowside and send you sliding along beside it, but if you crash into something - you'll go flying out. If something rams you, you're presumably fcuked.

So... uh... seems to be more of a motorcycle.
  11. to play it a different way -

Does it matter? No one is still going to like the thing.
  12. Hey, I like it. Probably cause it reminds me of the snowmobiles rode in Canada. I doubt the handling is as much fun as a snowmobile though.
  13. I say fcuk the importers.
    Why should we change laws to increase their profit margins?
    What have they done for me lately? :roll:
  14. its kind of got the worst of both worlds doesnt it.
  15. :LOL: gold....was just thinking the same thing.....after reading a few of the points above.....i was wondering how/why anyone would buy one :LOL:
  16. The whole car licence for trikes thing has been floating around in WA for ages, mainly driven by the commercial trike builders (we've at least two "major ones", locked in a constant feud with each other) wanting to be able to sell to a larger market.

Personally, i find it quite funny how many middle-aged businessmen want to play at being bikers without....er.....you know.....learning to ride a bike, but each to their own I guess.

However, the Can-Am Spyder appears to be aimed at a different market from the weekend outlaws who pay far too much for pig ugly, unreliable VW powered rubbish. It seems to be more aimed at a similar market to the Grinnall Scorpion and similar updates on the Morgan theme (real Morgans, that is, not these poncey, sell-out four wheeled things :wink: ).

Why? Because trikes the right way round are a huge hoot to hustle on a twisty road. Different from a bike, but huge fun nonetheless.
  17. It's another one of those inventions that draw from two separate ideas in such a way as to combine disadvantages of both with advantages of neither.

But it drives like a car so it might as well be classified as a car. To me it's really simple: if it doesn't lean into the corners, it's not a bike - end of story.