Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I trust the salesman

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bugjuice88, Mar 5, 2009.

1. First things first, just to make it clear, Im not trying to start one of those tell me what to buy threads.

So. Going into a dealership at lunchtime to drool over the various machinery, a salesman is trying to convince me that a "VTR1000 Firestorm" would be the go :? . After initially thinking that I wanted something 600 sportbikeish for a second bike because I dont want to do the 250 to 1000cc thing, I sort of decided I liked the CBR600rr or GSXR600. He now has me wondering is a V-Twin 1000 more viable option.

Budgetwise they are much of a muchness. On paper the 600s have higher power but less torque. Economywise (I know I know, we are talking sports bikes so what is economy) they are virtually the same, even after hearing that VTR's are thirsty. Weight, the VTR weighs a bit more but hey its not directly focused as a track bike. Comfort (still in the sportbike perspective) the VTR seemed a little more comfortable but seemed a bigger bike, I know it is but compared to say a CBR1000 or a ZX10 the VTR still seemed bigger.

Bearing in mind I have no V-Twin experience, I ride a CBR250rr 4cylinder, am a 5'5" weed and am still on my P's so can't legally test ride any of them :roll: , would the Firestorm or any other 1000cc V-Twin be a sensible option as a second bike? Has anyone bought one for a second bike? What was the outcome?

I am asking this question so all the other people coming off restrictions and trying to make the same decision can see the result as well.

2. I've not ridden a Firestorm but I have ridden a TL1000 - and I actually found that easier to ride than a 4 cylinder 250 since it wasn't necessary to rev the crap out of it. Of course if you did something dumb like snap the throttle fully open without knowing what to expect then you might be in for a nasty surprise (compression lockup on downshifts is also something to watch out for).
    Any bike is sensible as an upgrade provided you are.
  3. Well naturally the 1000cc bike is going to have boatloads more torque - its got 400cc more capacity. Whether or not its available down low depends on the tune, valves in the intake/exhaust (e.g. EXUP) etc. i.e. not directly due to the number of cylinders.

If you are scared about the thought of a 1000cc sports bike, going for a v-twin instead wouldn't be such a great idea. If anything, it'll have MORE wheelie power down low, as KTM owners will know.

Having said that, I wouldn't be too worried. Its all in the wrist. Go for whichever bike is most comfortable and low/light enough for you to handle.
  4. I can answer this just on the subject heading before I even read the post...

now I'll go and read the post... :LOL:
  5. A mate bought a VTR1000 after getting off his "P's" (he's been a licensed car driver for 30 years). We took him down to check the bike out and he took it for a slow ride around the block. Sold. Pays the deposit. We come back a few days later to pick it up. It's pissing down like you wouldn't believe. I offered to ride it home for him but he said, "nope, I'll 'man up' and give it a shot myself".

Brave fellow.

He found the difference between a Honda CBR250R 20 million rpm screamer and the loping VTR so stark. It took him a while to come to grips with it. But that was over the 2 hr ride home and a few commutes to work. Now he's happy as Larry.

The VTR is such a tractable bike and more so than any similar capacity 4cyl bike. But, jumping off a 250 and onto a 600 you'd probably experience similar characteristics but with more power. With the 1,000 you'd have more grunt again, but easier to control, if you take it easy on the right wrist. Mind you, with that much torque the V twin is easy to pop monos (and hence to come under the scrutiny of the hoon-police).

What about a 650 twin?

I have a Blackbird. Since riding the VTR I wouldn't mind getting one. I love the torque and the sound. Styling isn't exactly my cup of tea, but that shouldn't be a major factor in purchase decisions, I reckon.

Horses for courses...
  6. ducati. monster.

edit : yes, that was a useless comment. What it comes down to is this.

It's all on you. It's entirely sujective. theres a lot of GREAT bikes out there, but some of them might not be great for *you*.

get out, sit on things. test ride them. Whats your rush, why cant you wait till your on your full licence to do these things?
  7. My advice would be to wait until you can ride the things......no point getting your heart set on something you know nothing about without riding.

I particularly like all these sales people who believe bike purchases can be made without a test ride.....erm....there's one primary function of a bike and that is to be ridden.

how can you make an informed decision without testing it's primary function?!?
  8. test ride
    If salesman won't let you, take your cash elsewhere.
  9. They're probably used to the people who consider the sole purpose of a supersports to be something to try and impress women with.
  10. Strange thing is, some women that are going to be impressed by a bike will be impressed by _any_ bike and maybe if your lucky be a little more impressed if it looks like something utterly deadly :grin:

Some aren't so impressed with sitting on the "plank of doom", that is often what is nailed to the back of sportsbike as an excuse for a pillion seat :LOL:
  11. Which means their likely over 19, and thus not worth worrying about. As i keep informing my soon to be 20 girlfriend, to her delight.
  12. Unless it has a big yellow L plate on the back :p.
  13. TJ's sales guys must be on a bunus to sell Firestorms this month.....
  14. Bunus: noun, the opening in a bun.
  15. ARRGHHH, you pedantic swine, you :LOL:
  16. In reply to megaphat, I'm not really all that concerned about the thought of a 1000 but I have to have good reasoning as to why I need the extra to get it past the missus :LOL: .

No great rush, I actually went in there to look at wet weather gear but got a bit sidetracked. Now I know why they put the bikes at the front of the shop!

I'm not really worried about impressing anyone, more concerned about how it impresses me.

I dunno about the bonus on VTR's but the guy wanted to buy my CBR.
  17. It's two seperate questions, really:

1. Should I trust the salesman? Probably not, or at least, if you do, realise what his interests are and that they only coincidentally overlap with yours.

2. Should I buy a Firestorm? They're very nice bikes, I know I'd be very happy with one... but I also think you should wait out your restrictions and actually ride a few different bikes (includng a Bandit, hehe) before making the decision.
  18. I had a similar choice & went for the firestorm a couple of months ago.. I have no regrets at all.. love the bike !
    They don't make firestorms anymore so if it's new will probably be a 2006/7 model..
  19. cant go wrong with a 6 from any of the big 3. the vtr is a different style of ridin as with any big twin. ya either love it or hate it. .
    being 5 ft stuffall. i would look at a 600. They will rock your world... seriously.
  20. The twins are definitely a better bike on the road (compared to the supersport 600s and even 1000s to an extent) due to where the available torque is, and the fact that you can relax a bit and enjoy your riding more.

That is a bit of a generalisation but facts are the SS 600s need to be spinning upwards of 7 grand before anything exciting happens. By this time you're well on your way to license shredding speeds. It was suggested by another person here already, but how about looking at a mid sized twin if you are not comfortable with going onto something bigger.

There are a few out there and for most real world use, they tick the boxes for usable power, affordable insurance, low running costs and able to give you a grin when you want to have a fang.

With the state of the economy, the vast majority of shops are not having demo bikes as a cost-cutting measure. It may mean that you will have to take a 2nd hand bike for a ride to get some idea of what you're in for. Whatever you choose, do be sure to sit on and ride as many bikes as you can.