Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I take the plunge?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by helloyo, May 11, 2008.

1. I used to be a car nut until I sold my car a year ago and realised I didn't miss it. Instead I've been using a push bike for shorter trips, and enjoying it. I love the idea of a motor bike, but my main hesitation is about the safety. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out with some of my questions.

1. How much should I be looking to spend on a 250cc? Also, will $1000 be enough to cover gear?

2. How much would I late model 250cc cost to run? Rego, insurance, petrol, servicing, tyres, etc?

3. What is the reason for the "27 times more likely to die on a bike" statistic? The demographic of motorcyclists in Australia? (ie, enthusiasts over commuters). I never came into trouble with my cars, because I quickly learned it wasn't worth taking risks, but will that save me on a bike?

Thanks for your help,

2. Welcome Alex

I found myself in a very similar situation not too long ago so know how you feel. I went with it to try it out (the learners course in Sydney is cheap enough to use it as a litmus test) and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately I have skipped the 250cc bikes. After looking around most of them were just too small for me so I went with a LAMS approved 650cc bike instead so won't be able to answer your questions on that one. As for gear, there is a thread going where people discuss how much to set up:

Just search through that one and you should find someone who is looking at a similar sort of bike/gear etc that you want. My first impression of shopping around for gear a couple of weeks ago is yes, you could get your gear for that money, but I opted for good quality waterproof boots and a flip front helmet that pushed it out to around $1500.

As to the risks of riding there are probably more informed people out there than me, but this is my take- I think when you ride a bike, you always have to be more risk aware than the average car driver. At the end of the day, they can rely upon their vehicle to provide them with some protection which is a luxury that we don't have. As long as you can learn to manage the risks (which I think you probably already do when you ride a push bike) and not take stupid chances (which is something I got over when I stopped thinking of myself as being invincible about 10 years ago) then the risks drop remarkably.

All I can say is give it a try, although be warned, it is addictive.
  3. Welcome to NR!

The twin-cylinder 250s get about 3.8-4L/100km, depending on the riding style. Not sure how the inline 4 bikes do for efficiency. :)

Tyres are more expensive than for cars due to smaller market and stickier compound. They wear out in about 20,000km on a 250; bigger bikes can chew up rear tyres impressively. Rear tyre on a 250 is about $200, give or take.

Servicing... at an independent mechanic I paid about $300 a service every 12,000km or so. I did the 6,000km services (oil, etc) myself. And the chain maintenance myself of course.

Cars have a hard shell with a chewy centre, while motorcycles are the other way around. :grin:

I don't know if the accident rate is the same for cars (it may be lower!) but when an accident does occur, there's a much higher chance of serious injury or death.

An absurd amount of motorcycle accidents are single-vehicle, so riding within your limits and riding to the conditions is one way to drastically reduce the probability of having an accident. As for multi-vehicle accidents... it helps to consciously stay visible, since it's all too easy for a bike to disappear in a blindspot at the wrong time.
  4. :WStupid:
    All good advice.
    Depending how you ride, an inline 4 should get around 4-6L/100km.
    I get around 5L/100km commuting.

Riding can be dangerous, we are more vunerable to road condtions, less protected, & harder to see.
    We have to stay alert, constantly 'read' the traffic, the road conditions ahead, predict actions of others before they make their move, & brave the weather.
    Our reward:
    We live to ride another day, We have FUN !!!!!!!!

Go for it !
  5. Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might do the learner course and see if I like it (which I'm sure I will).