Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I replace Spark Plug Wires in my Honda CB250 Myself?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mokilok, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

My CB250 was vandalised a while back and I'd really love to get it back on the road. One of the things that needs repair is the spark plug wires (half the rubber plug on the end that connects to the spark plug has been torn off) but I'm not sure how to replace them since it appears that one end is coming from inside the engine?

Would this be a simple process to replace or should I fork out the cash and get a professional?

I appreciate the advice as I am a total noob when it comes to Auto-Mechanics although I find it very interesting.

2. It should be simple but if you don't know what you are doing I suggest you get someone to show you
  3. Not sure if spark plug leads are the same on bikes as they are on cars? On a car engine, they just pull straight off
  4. They are different from what I can see. One end comes streight off the spark plugs and the other end looks like a lead going into a tiny hole in the top of the engine.
  5. On the CB250 I just looked at ('96) they appear to be just push on - one end onto the plug the other into the ignition coil/trigger or whatever the hell the bit of black box is. Certainly doesn't disappear into a hole in the engine.

You got photos?
  6. You may need to remove a cover to get to the other end of the lead?
  7. Just an update. According to the shop I spoke to the rubber ends on the spark plug leads (connect spark plug to spark plug wire) are detachable. Does anyone know what these connectors are called?

Also, Does anyone know of anyone who does spray painting who could repaint a bike for a fee?

I just called a motorbike painting shop that quoted me $1500 to get two small fairings, two small guards and one tank painted.
  8. No cover on the m'96 model. Other models may be different.

Mokilok, I reckon if you caled them the rubber cap that goes over the spark plug people would know what you are talking about.

And as for painting advice, no idea but it may assist if you gave someone a hint as to the general location you are in.