Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I or shouldn't I

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by River, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Hi guys and girls.

Another quick question.

My fork oil needs replacing and I have ordered new dust seals and a choke cable that arrives next week.

My question is - would i be able to change fork oil and replace dust seals and choke cable myself or should I leave it to the mechanic down the road? For those that aren't aware my second post was about whether or not I was ripped off from the mechanic (I wasn't so thanks again to the people who replied back).

If people suggest that I do it myself, I have the manual what tool/s would I need? (I'm over a friends place at the moment and can't remember off the top of my head) :oops:

Sorry for the long post. Any comments suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Apologies to all this post should be under the mechanical, maintenance and appearance catergory. :oops: :oops: :oops:

2. Are you a handy sort of guy like that? Changing fork oil can be a pretty fiddly job, it's not the sort of thing I'm confident to fart about with - but then, I'm not real mechanical.

Give it a crack if you want, yank the forks off and if you bugger it up, send them over to the mechanic, it'll be a cheaper job if they're already off the bike.
  3. You need a head stem stand (I think it's called that :?) or something to hold the front of the bike off the ground so you can remove the forks.
    Mecahics charge a bit to do the fork seals so be prepared to pay around 180-200 for it to get done by them.