Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I go for my Ps despite the following happening...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by elefunksoup, Jan 26, 2013.

1. I'm booked to do my Ps (MOST) on Thursday in Sydney, cos Newcastle was booked out.

The plan was to ride down Wed, stay the night, take the test on Thurs, then ride home Friday.

Yesterday, I was practicing the cones and the u turn, and I wasn't doing that well I must say, when I dropped the bike. Picked it up, woudn't start, we'll cut out a lot of the fiddling and googling that went on here, and cut to the fact that it's going again but leaking oil like a sieve and burning it from the left pipe like a sick motormower. Not a healthy bike.

I've left a message with a mobile mechaninc I've used, but with the long weekend, the chance of the guy being able to come on Tues are likely nil. Option two is try to ride it to a local mechanic without it blowing up or something on the way. WIll consider this on Tuesday.

Anyway, I suspect the bike is not going to Sydney on Wed. This leaves me with driving and doing the test on a hire bike, or pulling the plug. I will have no chance to reshedule before my Ls expire. I presume I will have to do both the practical and written Ls again.

So advice please:
    Do test on hire bike and likely fail.
    Start all over.

2. Book a postie for the test, if you cant pass the MOST on one of those you haven't a hope of passing anyway. With the practice you've done on the Beemer you should ace it.
    Give it a go, the worst that can happen is you have to take the test again.
    Good luck.
  3. I'd hire the bike and do test, worse that can happen is you fail and have to start over anyway.
  4. Do it on a hire bike. Treat it as practice if you aren't comfortable with passing but you might pass anyway.
    If you do happen to fail then it's just the test again.
    When do your L's expire?
    I've heard that if you attempt and fail then L's can be extended even though they say they can't. Don't quote me on that though.
    Only question is whether you are ready having just dropped the bike?
    No big deal having to do the L's course again. You'll walk it in.
  5. Looks like we have a consensus.
  6. Yep, you're right. It's worth having a go. Confidence is a bit dented at the moment, that's really it. Going out to practice the MOST on the pushie!

Any ideas on what I did to my poor bike to make it leak? It took ages to get it starting, had to push it to turn the engine over before anything would happen.
  7. Just to add: check you can actually get a hire bike for the Thursday. They might be all used up for Learner's courses (happens up here).
    Also check situation with your L's if you do happen to fail and they expire before you can do another test.
  8. Also post which rta you are doing it. Netriders a loving community and you might be able to borrow a bike for a case. I would if I had a lams bike.
  9. Do you reckon my bike would get through the u-turn test?
  10. I'm doing the test at HART in St Ives, Sydney. I actually phoned them after I booked to discuss hire bikes as I wasn't sure about riding down. I'll just need to call again on Tuesday and book. I think the guy said they were 400s. Not sure what model (Hondas obviously).

I love riding. And I love my old BMW. But I've really got out of practice on the slow speed manouvering. :-(
  11. HART St. Ives used to hire out posties too. About 4 years ago from memory.
  12. YES nothing to lose, you may just get it :) Go for it! Good luck ;)
  13. I reckon it's 70% in your head. Keep your body loose, think positive, be confident. Do what ever you have to to relax and give yourself more than half a chance. I had practiced and practised and could do it all every time then stuffed the u-turn in the test due to nerves. You can stuff up a bit and still pass. Like I said, what's the worse that can happen?
  14. Just did some practice on the pushbike! It's better than nothing.
  15. Is this a full day course or a retest? Not that it matters really ... if your bike is suss then hire one and give it a go. If it's the full day you will most likely get a feel for the hire bike by the time of the MOST.

Good luck :)
  16. They have a fleet of posty bikes as they do ALL the training for Australia Post at St Ives, I don't think they hired them out though.
  17. One of the instructors offered it as an option to my wife when she took her L's about a year ago - not the MOST though I've assumed they'd be available for both.
    Was also mentioned to me when I did the handling dynamics course 4 years ago.
  18. I understand HART do a pre-MOST course. They're good people and might be able to get you a few hours of training before the test if you're flexible. Good luck :)
  19. HART hire bikes for the whole day. Give them a call.

400cc would be the cb400. They have 1hr private lessons for $80, maybe you'll be able to squeeze one in before your MOST test to get familiar with the bike and practice on it. If it's just for the test, maybe here a 125 or 250cc. Very hard to fail the u-turn in one of those. (y)
  20. #20 Justin Stacks, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    You get a lot of practice on the day before you do the final test.

Hire one of their bikes. It will be very easy to learn and get accustomed to by the time you do the test at the end of the day.

Also, I'm sure it's easier to manage compared to your R65, as it's lighter, smaller, and more nimble.

Go for it! Even if you happen to fail, you'll gain confidence for when you have to do it next as you'll have experience in a real testing environment, which is still different to just going to practice the scenarios on your own or at Homebush.

Keep in mind that you don't need to get perfect on the test to pass. You are allowed to lose up to 8 points. You lose 5 for crossing the line on the u-turn, and you lose 1 point for putting your foot down once in the cone weave. That's only 6 points and you'll still have 2 to give, so don't get frustrated with not doing something perfect.

Also, keep telling yourself that "you got this!" No negative talk! You need the power of positive thinking because 50% of passing is mental. You've already been riding for a year, and you know how to ride. Make sure you do your head checks and just think out what you need to do before you set the bike in motion and you should't have any issues!

• Like Like x 1