Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

should i get another helmet?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by cleanhands, Jul 18, 2009.

1. So I ended up buying a size Small helmet but as soon as I got home and wore it around for abit I became unsure, so I went to try on some XS and I actually fit in them although very tight.

The small fits fine but its just I can actually fit in an XS too. Now I'm unsure having blown basically $700 on a helmet. I spoke to the guy I bought the helmet from and now he said it fitted fine and it doesn't matter if I'm not riding over 120km (this arbitrary bit of information he felt necessary to mention concerned me)...

Opinions? Although I'm really cut about it I don't want to mess around with the helmet...
  2. Don't second-guess yourself. You made the right decision the first time.
    If you buy an XS it will give you headaches on a long ride because it is
    too tight.
  3. As hotcam said, you have probably made the right choice.

You could be like myself and sort of between sizes. Large helmets fit well and snug so do mediums but the medium is just a little on the firm side around my forhead.

Large is nice and comfy, it does have a little movement but when secured right its all good, esp when I have just shaved my head.

Least I didn't have to put up with my first helmet long which was way to big at xl
  4. main thing is the helmet doesn't slide about on your head. put it on and push under the chin. shouldn't slide.
    you can probably fit a size smaller by compressing the liner but its not comfy
  5. Keep it - I'm in the same boat, except I bought the XS - somewhat wishing I'd gotten the S :p. I'm sure I'll wear into it, though :)
  6. Keep in mind that as you wear in the helmet, the fit will become more loose on your head. You thought about this when buying it, right?
  7. Also remember that Shoei is one of the few makes that use different size shells for their helmets. Many other makes merely pad out with more foam and this makes a big difference.

A helmet should be a snug fit, not be able to be turned on your head or pulled off. If you can fit in an XS and not feel any immediate pressure points, I'd go for that, but as others said, you really don't want a fit that is extremely tight either.

Lastly, if you do buy another helmet, don't despair, I know a few people here have more than one helmet and change them like they change shoes! Use the one you like the best and keep the other one in reserve.
  8. well yeah when the d-ring is not done up it can be pushed off from under the chin but you are supposed to be able to take it off somehow. I can't take it off doing the same thing when the strap is done...
  9. It should be tight against your cheeks. If you chew gum, you should be worried about biting your cheeks. That's tight but it will loosen up once the padding compresses.

Put it on your head done up, whilst keeping your head and neck as rigid as possible get your enemy to try and rotate your helmet whilst on your head.

Rotate it left and right and then rock it backwards and forwards. If it moves, congratulations, you have a $700 pot, grow a plant in it.

If it doesn't flap around, you've got the correct size.
  10. Wouldn't there always be a little movement because of the skin moving a bit?

Every helmet I have tried on either moves a little or it causes head aches. So i can't win
  11. Physically turning. If it actually moves across your skin, that's loose.

The 'pulling the helmet off' is done from the back. Basically, can you pull the helmet off by exerting a force from the back lifting up. If you can, the helmet will come off in an accident.
  12. How much skin you got???

Sure it will move slightly for those with hair ;)
  13. Hmmm, can't move it left or right, but will move when pressing up from the back it moves up a bit but stays on.

Found this which helped explain it a bit

A helmet is also no good if it doesn't stay on when you get off unexpectedly. You should check if the helmet you are trying on will stay on your head using a simple test. Fasten the strap snugly (you should feel some force on your chin). Then grab the rear of the helmet and try to lift it up and roll it forward off your head. Even when it hurts, you should not be able to get the helmet off. This is more likely to be an issue on half helmets or open-face helmets, but we have seen some full-coverage chinbar-style helmets that failed this roll-off test on some riders. Motorcycle Cruiser's own Andy Cherney has a head shape that many helmets can roll off of, so he needs to be certain that the helmet will stay on his head by using this test whenever he gets new one. On most helmets, the strap will fasten by passing through two D-rings. Though there have been a number of quick-fasten buckles and other ideas introduced over the years, we think this remains the most effective, convenient and comfortable fastening system.