Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I get a scooter?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by curious, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi all I'm new to the Forum and need some advice.

I have a car and have had one for the last 10 years. For the last 5 months I have been working in the city (Perth) and although it's only 10kms from my place, it takes me 45 minutes to get there on time due to peak hour traffic. That was really starting to p*ss me off. And I need transport for work (I am a real estate agent) so I can't be without a car. Predominantly I will be showing apartments in the city during office hours and parking became a real pain in the bum for me.

SO - without having to get another license and just using the one that I have now, I can only operate a 50cc bike. I am NOT a bike enthusiast and the only reason I will be getting a scooter is purely for economical (saving fuel $) and practicality (can zip around more easily). So, will it be viable for a 10km commute to and from work and also around the CBD during office hours? What speed will a 50cc scooter go up to? Speed limits are 60kph on the main road to the city. Also, is it safe as I have heard many horror stories and don't want to die just yet. Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated :)

2. you are not an motorcycle enthusiast now -- but you will be soon :)
  3. you'll die. don't get one.
  4. For starters A 50cc (2 stroke) can hit 60ish standard or 70 with few mods - on the flat. If you have to go up any inclines a 50 will struggle.

A 125cc 4 stroke on the flat will maintain 80 happily all day, topping out around 100.

I could be wrong but the license test isn't very expensive? I know its more in some states but in nsw its ~75 bucks for preLearner course.

Keep in mind small motors have much shorter service intervals (3000-6000kms) and you'll be hit up 100-150 for each service + parts. If you're not doing much distance this isn't a big deal but something to consider because riding isn't as cheap as you think once you factor in second rego, insurance, protective gear, etc.

Its as safe as you make it, and I have to say commuting in traffic is one the most dangerous thing you can do on two wheels. If you don't make a point to develop your road craft you'll like come off worse to a SMIDSY 'sorry mate didn't see you there'. Also if you go for a slide without protective gear (armoured/kevlar pants, jacket, boots of some description that won't come off, gloves) you will lose skin and it will hurt. So budget for decent gear :]
  5. Way to scare her off theorist!
    I agree though, you need road craft experience. I started out on a 50cc scooter riding all sorts of places where a 50cc did not belong, VERY little car experience, and had quite a few near misses where it would have been completely my fault. OK, I am still here and have not had any massive injuries, but that's more due to luck than anything else. If you do decide to go forward with this then at the very least, please get a few riding sessions in with a friend until you are confident with the controlling the bike.
    People WILL overtake you all the time due to the bike being slow to get up to speed, and I found that I got laughed at by a fair few people out on the road.
    If you find that you are about to get sandwiched by two cars, you will not have enough power to accelerate out of the situation.
    That being said...
    The environment where you are planning to use the 50cc scooter is where it belongs. It will save you a lot in petrol, it'll be fun for a while, and it will inevitably lead to you taking up a new and exciting hobby.
  6. I started off on a 50cc. Had three prangs not my fault. Bad choice for a first time rider UNLESS you are willing to go do a raodcraft course of some type BEFORE you ride. They are great fun little things, but just as dangerous as a 1000cc bike in the city.

Do yourself, your friends and family a favour and go get your motorbike licence first, and then consider a 125cc.
  7. ++1

Do the test so you can get a 125cc scooter, the 50cc scooters are dangerously underpowered except for suburban back street riding.
  8. electric scooter is the go

I ride a 100cc scooter which is pretty much the minimum for the road. (have a real bike for weekends though).

seen a little electric moped parked at the local station
  9. Buy a Razor Scooter.
  10. Scooters are a great way to commute and I often regret selling mine although TBH it was a 200 not a 50cc.

+1 to some courses regardless of what you decide to get though - there are some very specific road skills associated with two wheels that should minimise the chance of you being involved in an accident and/or any injury you might subsequently receive.

Given 10ks is taking you 45mins you mightn't even have the opportunity to reach speeds in excess of 60ks in which case having a larger capacity scooter may seem like a moot point - but at some stage whether you are just heading home late one night or needing to go elsewhere that may require a little 80kmh run you will be wishing for that extra few cc.

Also if I am anything to go by, what starts out as a practical way to commute turns out to be an obsession, I literally had no interest in two wheels as a hobby and thought all motorcyclists were just a bunch of wankers but I am def now turned round on the matter - I still commute everyday on my bike.

Regardless of what you decide, best of luck with it all and keep us informed.
  11. a 50cc teaches you to be happy with not overtaking, not staying ahead of everyone, and going slow and enjoying the view . They are a great way to start, but getting onto a minimum 100cc in the end is the way to go. I've had 50cc, 100cc, 125cc, 150cc, 200cc,
    and 250cc. To me a 100cc is what a 50cc should perform like, and i find my little 100cc great around brisbane with all the hills and lunatics on the road. I can happily hit 85 and thats all i need. I started on a suzuki fa50 and ended up going to a bug jive 50 a few years later when i moved to australia . I found that with 60k speed zones and heaps of hills it was struggling a bit. It taught me to be patient, let people overtake, and to ride like i am invisible. I think in the end it made me a safer rider. In between the suzuki and the bug jive I also had a couple of vespas, one is still going in new zealand somewhere,
    and since the bug jive I have had a sachs city 125 which got stolen, a sachs city 150 which I sold, and a bug bandit 50cc which I broke.
  12. Why are you so insistent that your are NOT a bike enthusiast? The way you wrote is seems as if you feel it's something to be avoided, rather than you just being apathetic. You've got to have some passion for it before you expose yourself to traffic on a 2 wheeled vehicle. If you get the proper licence after a while you might be able to try out getting a small bike for your commute as well. You never know, motorcycles and scooters are great fun.

Regardless, the minor inconvenience of getting a learner's permit is not a valid reason for missing out on the skills it would teach you, in my opinion. When a cager runs a red or turns across your path it doesn't matter if your bike has 50cc or 500cc of you aren't pre-empting it and able to stop in time. Go for the R-E licence, get a bigger scooter. When you're on a 50 cc moped and someone starts moving in to your lane you won't be able to accelerate passed them you will regret it.
  13. A new, good quality scooter built to ride at highway speeds will cost four thousand dollars or more. Scooters built to ride with traffic on secondary roads at speeds to 60 mph will cost $2500 and up. New scooters with small 50cc engines will cost about one to three thousand dollars.
    Most scooters will require insurance. The cost for insurance varies, check with your broker.
    Regular service and parts that wear out may cost the rider hundreds of dollars every year, especially if the rider elects not to provide their own service. For example, an oil change for a car may only cost $30.00; a scooter oil change may cost double that or more.
  14. yeah don't get one you"ll die, agreed

the thing i notice about scooter riders (apart from the fact that scooters are gayer than jesus), is that they ride them like they just graduated from riding a bicycle. a sure way to get cleaned up on the roads. they ride close to the kerb and cars just treat them like shit. all the traffic bullies people on scooters. sooner or later a cager will just run you into the kerb. can't own your lane on pissant moped.

get a motorbike licence and get a big loud mean looking mofo bike and look like you are not be ****ed with and the cagers will back off and give you some room
  15. Get one you wont regret it dont wory about all these naysayers you might even enjoy it and become a enthusiast
    There cheap and you can split past all the douche's in there cages.
    Dont listen to all the horror stories people tell you more people die from horses every year than bikes.
    good luck hopefully you will hang around and become a enthusiast.
  16. Curious, your plan to invest in a scooter is good as it will save you time & money but what I'm thinking is that if you are into real estate then you will need to dressed up all the time. And that means the helmet will stuff your hair & make up, you will not be able to wear skirts & high heels etc.

You will have to wear protective clothing which is not 'fashionable' so as to say.

Have you thought about these things? :)
  17. Yes!!... then go get a proper bike... :D
  18. Other than a helmet what protective clothing do you HAVE to wear?
  19. :) This was meant to be a fun post but at least, there should be shoes, jacket & gloves. Out of these 3, Gloves & Shoes are still important. Well, at least for me.
  20. Should, meaning optional.

I'm more interested how she's going to move those big "FOR SALES" signs around on a scooter.