Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I get a bike and licence?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cnewton87, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hi, how's it going?

I've always wanted to get a motorcycle, but at the moment I'm just thinking about it economically and for convenience.

I've just moved from nsw to just outside of Melbourne. I'm currently driving a v6 fairmont. Needless to say it isn't cheap to run.

So I'm looking in to getting a bike more to save money on petrol and for ease of parking, but I was wondering if in my location it would make that much of a difference.

Where I'm living I'm about a half hour drive from the city in good traffic and about a 20 minute drive from my place of work. As far as im aware, motorcycles are much better for the city than cars because of the size difference. Now obviously it will depend on the bike I get, but will traveling somewhat long distances on the freeway be that much cheaper on a bike than a car? I ask because I really have no idea

Thanks in advance for the advice

2. A little old 250 will probably save you money. Cheap to buy, cheap to service, great on fuel. Will also get you to the city/work quicker :)
  3. 1. i'm fine thanks.

2. your fairmont isn't a v6.

3. yes, get a bike.

4. dont buy a scooter.

5. dont forget a riding course.

haha cheers.
  4. Haha. Didn't realise it wasn't a v6. It sure uses petrol like one. Thanks!
  5. Any advice on what make and models I should look at?
  6. Fairmont is a V8 isnt it?
  7. inline 6 or v8.
    ford has never released a 6cyl V config

now the the question at hand, yes buy a bike. but please learn to ride it and accept that should anything go wrong more blame is placed on your shoulders than you're likely to admit.
    and remember that economy wise, things go downhill as you move up in capacity, also if you're needing to strangle a smaller engine (keep it in the upper rev range) they get thirsty.
    and as jimmyd said, forget those lawnmower engined scooters, they're a joke
  8. Running costs will depend on how much work you can do on the bike yourself, and how much you have to pay a mechanic for. Buy a simple 250 (GPX, ZZR, CB, etc.) and at least do oil/filter, plugs etc. yourself and you should be better off. If however you were say to buy a brand new LAMS 650, on full finance, and pay a mechanic for everything (including any repairs for noob-related drops) - you may find it costing as much, if not more, than a Fairmont to run. But it will at least still be a thousand times more interesting than driving a Fairmont.

Edit: As to what specific models if running cost is your main priority then your best options are:
    New - Wait for the Suzuki TU250X to be released in the next month or so
    Used - Honda CB250
  9. 250cc will get your job done nicely, but they can be pricey to buy for what they are. Try to get one with a vtwin motor on it, you won't regret it.
  10. anyone on the morninton peninsular wanna go for a ride right now?
  11. OP - As for what SORT of bike you get, that's up to you.

You could get a 250 standard [like the Honda CB250] or a 250 Cruiser [Like the Yamaha 250 V-Star] or a 250 sports bike, [Kawasaki Ninja 250]... Depends on what style bike you want to ride. (Examples listed are examples only, not hard recommendations, though all are solid performers AFAIK)

But yes, you'll save on Tolls if you travel the toll roads [Free on Citylink only, half price on Eastlink], you'll save on petrol (go further on less petrol than a car) and you'll save on parking (sidewalks - YAY!)... not to mention the benefits of not getting as stuck in traffic as a car does :p

I second the comment about NOT getting a scooter.
    If you're going to go two wheels, getting a scooter is simply... it's like buying a volvo. We all know someone who bought one, we just don't like to talk about it...

Hope that helps :p
  12. How old are you ?
    Can you afford time off work ?
    Are you afraid of being hurt ?
    IF you believe a bike can be a cheap second source of transport.
    Don't get a bike.
    Rego and insurance will set you back the best part of a grand.
    Wear tear and two services on the bike a year at least another grand.
    ATGATT will set you back another grand about every four years.
    Don't get a bike.
    If you want a divorce, all your money torn up every week. And the best fun you can have with your pants on or off. Buy a bike. :)
  13. I dissagree with everything you just said exsept -

1. You do need ATLEAST 2 services a year
    2. rego and insurance is not cheap
    3. It is the most fun you can have with your pants off.
  14. Ford definitely have released a v6 there were the Essex and Cologne engines in the past and now days there's the Duratec v6's...
  15. No matter what LAMS bike you choose it will use a hugely significant amount less fuel.

If bikes interest you, go for it. Don't let people on a forum make your decision for you.
    Google is your friend, its the pathway to making your own informed decision.

My advice is go sit on some bikes in the shops, have a look at them, see how they feel with you on them. Its a very fun way to commute and safe as well as long as you take the time to get some training or practise on your own.

As for whoever was talking about 'strangling' a 250 and using heaps of fuel on the freeway, thats not entirely correct. Most 250's will sit on 100 with plenty left up their sleeve, and it doesn't increase the fuel consumption by much (my vtr250 is very calm at 100-110 and uses less fuel on the highway then 60kph stop start traffic).

It will cut your commute time, and you will save a fortune on parking costs. It is a convenient transport option.

Fuel costs are next to nothing compared to running a car. I spend $20 a week running my 250 and that includes commuting every day and a run through the hills in the country.

There are service costs, your looking at 200 to $300 every 6000-12000km, but most of the servicing you can do yourself if you spent a few hours learning how.

Depending on what tyres you run you will need to replace them every 8-12000km+ as well, at a cost of around $200+

Please factor in the cost of gear to purchase with your bike. A decent helmet ($299+), a comfortable riding jacket (with elbow etc protection), some ankle high boots and at least draggin kevlar lined jeans/pants (or a competitor), $100.

There are obvious rego costs and insurance can range from being affordable to very expensive depending on if your bike is faired (the plastic around the side, my recommendation don't get a faired bike for your first bike as there is a chance you will drop it, which would be expensive$$ compared to dropping a naked) and how long you have had a driving license for/history.

Suitable bikes for your situation and learners, agreed upon by a majority of the community include:

Honda CB400

Suzuki GS500

Honda VTR250

and many more.

It can be a very affordable transport, it can be much cheaper then running a car but it can also cost around the same, it depends on many many factors.

And as most would agree its the most fun you can have on wheels, improves mental awareness and function and makes you smile every time you go to work, plus your instantly part of a (generally) supportive, respectful and friendly community.

Let us know how you go :)
  16. No one has mentioned it but I will

Yamaha WR250X -- best bike for a learner - 10,000kms service interval for a start and no valve clearance check for 30,000 kms

cheap to insure , cheap to repair

fuel injected modern motor , great ground clearance, confidence inspiring for learning to take full throttle corners

handles well

cheap to run

can jump over gutters easy -- use speed humps as jump ramps

but if your a big guy like me( 187cm 110 kg) - may feel slow after a while

otherwise they rock - if yamaha had a 450 version I would be all over one like a rash
  17. reheheheheally???
    i stand corrected
  18. Hey guys

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm 23, and have 5 years of safe and careful driving experience, and while that may not translate too well to riding a motorcycle, I do have some idea of drivers around me.

I wouldn't dream of attempting any sort of riding without some sort of training course. I've never been on a motorcycle before and would most certainly be a hazard to others, let alone myself.

In any case, this is early days and I'm only considering the option. I realize it wont be an instant money saver, and that I'll first have to invest before I start saving. But as a lot of you have been suggesting, I am also in it for the fun of it.

It may be a while, but I'll let you all know how it pans out. Thanks again for all the great advice
  19. once u start you will never stop
  20. In some ways a bike can be less expensive transport than a car, but not by as much as it looks like at first glance. If your primary motivation is financial, then I'd say leave them alone.

Buy a bike because you want one.
    Buy a bike because it excites you.
    Buy a bike because you've always secretly envied the bike racers and the firemen and the astronauts.
    Buy a bike because it is a carefully calibrated middle finger to the beige revolution, the cotton-wool society, the nannie state and the brainwashed, boring, safety obsessed, castrated youth that are old before before their time.
    Buy a bike because you once ran around your front yard (at about the age of 4) wearing a teatowel knotted around your neck and a pair of undies on the outside of your pants, and you liked the way it felt, and nothing since has quite been quite as much fun.
    Buy a bike because your Mother hates them. ( ... there - that aught to do it!)
    Buy a bike because each of us gets a certain number of years, weeks, seconds to live, and most of us waste most of them marking time. Time spent on a bike is not time spent waiting, or doing chores. Time spent on a bike is time spent LIVING, and we should all get a bit more of that.