Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I expect a fine? (NSW)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by newbie69, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Hi,

When i left work this afternoon i was travelling in the left hand lane but needed to get over to turn right at the next intersection. When i did my head check to change lanes i saw there was a car in my blind spot so i sped up a bit to get enough room to move over but so did the car. Couldnt drop back to pull in behind as there was other cars so i booted it a bit to get in front of the car and as i looked up there was a cop standing quite close to a power pole holding a radar gun pointed in my direction. I obviously backed off immediately but was probably doing 10 - 15 kms over the limit at the time it happened purely so that i could change lanes safely. I certainly wasnt intentenally speeding.
    Question though is can you still be fined if they didnt pull you over?
    If so because i was on a bike & there is no number plate on the front how and where do they obtain your details from?
    Does the car have a camera that takes a picture of the rear of the bike as you go past?

2. I doubt they got you, unless the cop has ninja reactions and managed to write down your plate, and its unlikely.
  3. No, you will not get a fine, no way.
  4. Why do you think they want to re-introduce front number plates for bikes??
  5. Front plates rejected

VMAC chair rejects front plates

The national proposal to fit motorcycles with front numberplates has been rejected in the state which first promoted the idea, by the Chair of the Victorian Motorcycle Advisory Council (VMAC), former member of Federal Parliament and Parliamentary Secretary Mr Neil O'Keefe.
  6. You will not be fined. Radar/Lidar ops require police to carry out a traffic stop and issue the TIN after establishing who was driving the vehicle.
  7. If you didn't get pulled over, I can't see you getting booked. I think you can stop crapping yourself!!!
  8. I found the article on BikePoint, but if understand it correctly it's only the VMAC that have rejected the proposal - and I guess they will advise the government accordingly. But then we always expected a motorcycle body to reject this. It's a positive step, but I don't know whether this changes anything.