Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Should I buy KTM85

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by nodge2626, Nov 24, 2006.

1. hi guys, my son rides a kx60 in the bush, motocross and pony expresses. He is hellbent on getting a ktm85sx, his friends tell him they're great bikes but their fathers tell me they break down lots and need twice as much maintenace as other brands. I am keen to buy him a kx or cr 85 big wheel but know he wants the KTM. I can source parts overnight for it but am really concerned that it may conk out during a race which means tears and whingeing and I don't need that if i can help it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have heard the larger bikes are reliable but i know little of the smaller versions. PLEASE HELP. Am looking at a 04/05 model prob between 3 and 4 grand. Have also heard the new ones are good for 2 seasons and after that things go a bit pear shaped. Any advice would help. thanks in advance

2. Personally, I don't see the point of a 'bling' 85.

I'm sure the CR, RM, KX, YZ will be just as good as the KTM.

As for service, it's a 2 stroke race bike that works pretty hard and gives a fair bit of power for the 85cc's they have. So a major service ever 2 years isn't that bad.

I'm sure the Jap 85's will need the same amount of attention to keep them at the pointy end of the field.